ForumsProgramming ForumHow to know who playing my game ?

13 5505
pictiofunny
pictiofunny
2 posts
Nomad

Hello all,

I have developped a pictionary game, and i want to submit it to this website, but i need to know who is the player which play my game.

I use the ExternalInterface to communicate with javascript code, but i think it's not possible in this website because you demand to upload only the flash file.

How can i identify users ?

Thanks

• 13 Replies
Xinito
Xinito
109 posts
Nomad

I think you cant..

pictiofunny
pictiofunny
2 posts
Nomad

Is there a way to get the IP of the player in the flash file or something else to identify a player (if he play with IE or firefox for exemple, my game need to know that it's the same player) ?

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

You could add something like Google Analytics to your game. This will not show you their IP adresses (because that's a privacy issue) but it will most of the time show you what browser and flash version they're using.

arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

You can't do that without a database. You should set up a server for your game with a database that allows players to login, which is going to cost you some money.

As far as databases go, an easy program to use is called MySQL, which you can use in conjunction with PHP, as long as the server is PHP enabled.

However, you cannot collect data that would identify a player in the manner to which you are referring becaues, as PixelSmash said, it is a privacy issue.

Gepa
Gepa
6 posts
Nomad

you cant :/

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

you cant :/

Yes you can... people just gave multiple methods how.
WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Actually you best bet is to check the local API of the site where you are submitting your game. It might give you a way to access the current logon data for anyone subscribed to the site.

ooier
ooier
28 posts
Shepherd

maybe you can use some php functions inside your flashgame to trace the ip

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

How bout have them create a user pw and stuff?

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

And again we are back to secure database management. If you ask for a username and password, then you need some way to track it all.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Not that much of a problem even a complete beginner can pick up a book, read through it and whip up a good enough database for their game.

3Aegis3
3Aegis3
6 posts
Nomad

http://www.mochibot.com/
Simple as that.

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

@Darkroot Yar. It just depends on the hosting environment of the game and whether or not our friend pictiofunny has access (or rather what kind of access they have).

@3Aegis3 I think that mochibot mostly tracks who all has hosted the flash file, not who has accessed it.

Showing 1-13 of 13