The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumWhat programming language is best to creat a game?

4 6593
frozenfangs124
frozenfangs124
2 posts
Nomad

so hi! I'm new here... and I just want to ask which programming language should I learn? oh yeah.. btw.. I know a bit about Visual Basic, and wishes to be a great programmer one day...

• 4 Replies
Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

Actually, depends of what do you want develop, for example, if you want to develop flash games you can learn AS2 or AS3, but if you want to make games for xbox in XLA studio you should need to learn C#, or if you want to make computer applications you will need to learn C++ or C#. So my question is what do you want to develop?

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

C++ is the single best multipurpose programming language around. Most games are written in it, from computer to console to handheld. Most applications are written primarily or with parts of it included.

In terms of Internet gaming, Flash is the single most dominate around. Flash is currently written in AS3, and it would not be wise to learn AS2 due to the fact AS3 is much better supported on modern flash versions, and you can do much more with AS3 compared to AS2. It's simpler than C++, but is slower and less versatile.

Java can be used to make games, and has been used in some games recently (Minecraft, for instance), but is generally less used and a bit of a memory and CPU hog, and a bit less efficient than C++. A better starting language than a final language.

Python is a possibility, but it's definitely a starter language and not very versatile. Slow and inefficient compared to its counterparts, it's more likely to be used as a minority of a game or application than a majority. It's seen in things like Blender (the 3D modeling program) and Civilization IV's mapping and world builder kits.

If you're not looking for a daunting challenge, start with something like Python or Java. If you just want to go for the big time right away, AS3 and C++ are better. I don't know enough about C# to be any help.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

@ enter orion
Adobe air suports AS3 so C++ and AS3 are neck to neck AS3 is less complex but laks a lttile because of it but most of that is is to get around or use built in cases to fix, C++ is more complex but leaks memory easy andand can be redicusely complex.

To make a piont in C to make a sintence(string) in C you have to make eache letter first them put the to gether in a list(array), though that is good if you making a word prosessor but for normal use its crazy! Plus the listing system(arrays) have a few problems with memory so your sentece might go mad!

Though AS3 is still young like java, and it has it problems but they are fix able.

I would say C++ and AS3 are about the same, if you want crazy complex or strong deffently do C but if your just making a game try AS3 its easyer for begainers.

But this is like asking a mechnic chevy or ford... both ar good and both have pros and cons! The key is go for the one that is most comfortable! That will stop frusstartoin later!

Remember not to scare any one but programming will take up a lot of your time some times all of it! It is not easy! Sherh it is not manual labor but it hard on the mind! You will have headacke!

But look at this topic for resorces
It has some nice book sugestions, I sugest paying for books and not geting the free ed online, you get what you pay for.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Adobe air suports AS3 so C++ and AS3 are neck to neck AS3 is less complex but laks a lttile because of it but most of that is is to get around or use built in cases to fix, C++ is more complex but leaks memory easy andand can be redicusely complex.

Just because C++ is a lower level language, doesn't mean it's more complex. AS3 has very unintuitive syntax which can make it difficult to work with. Also it's barely a scripting language, it's more of a dialect of javascript. C++ can be used to make incredibly difficult things, but it doesn't have to be. Making a text based adventure, or an a simple find and replace text program can be easily and simply done with C++, but then you can get extremely complicated and start working with a 3D graphics library.

Though AS3 is still young like java, and it has it problems but they are fix able.

It's not exactly young, it's the third version of a language and it was based of a language that came out in 1995.
Showing 1-4 of 4