The Armor Games website will be down for maintenance on Monday 10/7/2024
starting at 10:00 AM Pacific time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

ForumsProgramming ForumCode injection?

8 4169
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
248 posts
Nomad

Say I have a text box, and I want it so that if someone types in some ActionScript code, then the code is actually run?

So if I had a square in it, and one typed in square.x = 20 or whatever, the square would actually move?

• 8 Replies
Xinito
Xinito
109 posts
Nomad

Hmm, I dont understand exactly what you mean.. but when you type square.x = 20 the movieclip square should go to X: 20 on your flash file, this means the square wont move. If you load/debug the .swf the square will just stand on X: 20 position and wont do anything.

Xinito
Xinito
109 posts
Nomad

Sorry for double posting but if you want that your MC will move you should do something like:

var leftKeyIsDown:Boolean = false;
var speed:Number = 5;

yourinstancenameofMC.addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, movement);
public function movement(event:Event):void
{
if(leftKeyIsDown)
{
yourinstancenameofMC.x -= speed;
}
}

stage.addEventListener(Event:KeyboardEvent.KEY_DOWN, ifKeyIsDown);
public function ifKeyIsDown(event:KeyboardEvent):void
{
if(event.keyCode == 37 || event.keyCode == 65)
{
leftKeyIsDown = true;
}
}

stage.addEventListener(Event:KeyboardEvent.KEY_UP, ifKeyIsUp);
public function ifKeyIsUp(event:KeyboardEvent):void
{
if(event.keyCode == 37 || event.keyCode == 65)
{
leftKeyIsDown = false;
}
}

This script is only for the leftKey, I hope this helped and I hope that this is where you were looking for. Have fun!

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Not without building an actionscript compiler inside actionscript (I'm pretty sure it's impossible to do). You can just have the squares X coordinate equal to 'Input' and have input be the number the user puts in.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

A long time ago I heard about someone who was working on this... I have no idea how it progressed though, and while I'm sure some functions are pretty easy to reproduce, others are (nearly) impossible.

arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

I assume that you mean you want to convert the text from the box into actions, and have those actions run?

From the way you phrased your question, though, it sounds like you think typing code into the box will automatically cause that text to be run as code.

The second is incorrect, and the first is a poor idea. I thought about it myself, until I realized that if someone with real experience coding were to use it, they could manipulate the code to cheat.

Even though the user would not be able to run malicious code, (they would only be hurting their own machine anyway), it would simply be too easy for the user to cheat, and far too difficult for you to prevent it.

I did, however, for a project called Encode, create a system with a mock programming language to give the user the feeling of programming.

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Yeah things like that tend to be a big security risk because a lot of time someone will find a way to run malicious code from them. That's the reason most programmers avoid eval or similar commands when dealing with user input.

For instance I tend to use the htmlspecialchars() function when dealing with form data in PHP. Keeps people from injecting nasty bits of code with their entries.

But back to the question at hand. Simple text boxes (including dynamic ones) do not interpret code. The eval() function existed in previous versions of ActionScript but its use was extremely limited. AS3 did away with the function all together.

If you are committed to a runtime there are two projects that have been working on an eval for AS3.
- As3Eval
- The D.eval API

Best of luck.

arobegamr
arobegamr
130 posts
Nomad

I don't think that flash alone can run malicious code, although I may be wrong. Adding PHP into the mix, particularly when running MySQL, does pose a risk, however.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
248 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the time.

I asked for educational purposes; I just wanted to see if it was possible.

Showing 1-8 of 8