ForumsWEPRMormon Talk

158 52003
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

So, I saw a lot of threads such as "Ask a Muslim", "Ask a Jew", etc. and thought I'd make one of my own. As far as I can tell, Mormonism is one of the most widely misunderstood religions, so I thought I'd clear a few things up. Now, I'm not like a stake president or anything, but I'll do my best to answer your questions. I can't guarantee I have an answer to all of them. I would prefer it if this thread were not to turn into a religious debate. I've tried debating religion before. As far as I can tell, if you took a recording of a theist's arguments and a recording of an atheist's arguments, stuck them together and played them, you'd get approximately the same amount of actual thinking and listening as what goes into the actual debates. That's not to say atheists aren't allowed to ask questions, of course, just that I'm asking you not to turn this into a debate. I would also request that you keep this civil and polite. I will joke about my own religion sometimes, jokes are fine as long as humor, not malice, is the intent. But I will treat your beliefs with respect and expect you to do the same for mine. Thanks.
So now...go ahead and ask.

• 158 Replies
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

In Doctrine and Covenants chapter 130 verses 22-23 it reads: "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us. A man may receive the Holy Ghost, and it may descend upon him and not tarry with him."

The passage so nice, we quoted it twice! I think I beat you to it with that one. xP
Are you a Mormon? It seems like you're not, but I can't be sure.
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

That's technically correct but the Lord God was originally a man, too. Just not on Earth.

Well yes that is what I meant. I just couldn't phrase things very well when I posted that.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

The passage so nice, we quoted it twice! I think I beat you to it with that one. xP
Are you a Mormon? It seems like you're not, but I can't be sure.

Sorry, i hadn't seen you had previously posted it. No i'm not Mormon. I was simply correcting myself, as i was wrong on that point.
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

Sorry, i hadn't seen you had previously posted it.

Oh, it's fine. I just thought it was kind of funny that we both posted the same passage, but it makes sense since we were kind of answering the same question.

No i'm not Mormon. I was simply correcting myself, as i was wrong on that point.

Oh, okay.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

That's technically correct but the Lord God was originally a man, too. Just not on Earth.

So if God was a man, was he created, too?
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

So if God was a man, was he created, too?

yes he was, and before you ask, we do not know who created the one who created god. I say this prevent that question from being asked. we know there is a most high god, but I don't even know where to begin on that subject.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

yes he was, and before you ask, we do not know who created the one who created god. I say this prevent that question from being asked. we know there is a most high god, but I don't even know where to begin on that subject.

hm... okay, but the God who created us is therefore not the highest God, right? Did our God or the highest God create the/our universe? And do you believe that there are many universes created by different Gods?
uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

Funny how theists stumble when confronted with the old "Who created God?" question.

To me, religion seems lazy. When you don't understand something you just say "God did it." And when someone challenges you as to why God would do something you say "No one can know the will of God."

Here's one for you: Why did God create man with 6 muscles to control eye movement? Three muscles would be sufficient.

Is God just inefficient or is he kinda dumb?

BTW, I can list more anatomical design flaws, this was just the first that came to mind. But yeah, human design is flawed big time. Kinda like the old Ford Pinto.

But we were created in the image of God right? Was God himself flawed, or is he a poor designer?

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

hm... okay, but the God who created us is therefore not the highest God, right? Did our God or the highest God create the/our universe? And do you believe that there are many universes created by different Gods?

to answer your question, the highest god didn't create our universe, and there are multiple universes, more than just our own.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Here's one for you: Why did God create man with 6 muscles to control eye movement? Three muscles would be sufficient.

actually, yes I can answer your question. believe it or not, god made adam and eve to be perfect, but their kids had to inbreed with eachother in order to multiply. with that, our bodies design became a little more flawed with each generation. this could cause a whole malady of adverse effects and conditions.
uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

actually, yes I can answer your question. believe it or not, god made adam and eve to be perfect, but their kids had to inbreed with eachother in order to multiply. with that, our bodies design became a little more flawed with each generation. this could cause a whole malady of adverse effects and conditions.

But isn't the fact that the children of Adam and Eve were forced to inbreed a HUGE flaw on the part of God? Did he not know that this inbreeding would result in bad things happening? Each successive generation becomes more flawed than the previous one?

Epic fail by God on that one. He must have also created Microsoft.

So, is god stupid, or is he a sadist who enjoys watching humans suffer the consequences of this oversight?
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

first off, god intended for us not to be perfect, which was why he allowed the inbreeding in the first place. if we were perfect, then there would be no room for growth, or learning from our injuries.

second, if he did create microsoft, he did pretty well establishing a monopoly until the goverment got in the way.

third, he loves us and knew that perfection is empty with no ability to learn new things. who would want to play sports if you had genetically mastered it already?

uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

God must really love us. All these kids born with fatal congenital defects, doomed to spend their short lives suffering. Grief stricken parents forced to watch their children suffer. Did the child sin? Why is she being punished?

God allows his followers to be mercilessly butchered in war, starve and die during famine, and yet others who follow him win Oscars and Pro Sports trophies.

God must love inequity, pain, suffering and death. God must love irony as a multi-millionare athlete thanks him for success while a family starves and dies while praying to him for salvation. God is a sick, twisted dude.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

You know religon doesn't mak it so that everyone fills something unknown with god. When I don't know something I fill the hole with science. Then sometimes science doesn't know things and I usally fill those with logical guesses or I don't knows.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

God must really love us. All these kids born with fatal congenital defects, doomed to spend their short lives suffering. Grief stricken parents forced to watch their children suffer. Did the child sin? Why is she being punished?

yes, you must really be concerned. I have an answer to that too. the child didn't sin, such things happen because of genetics. if the child suffers, then that very same child is given a free pass to stand with our god in the end.

God didn't tell men to go into wars over him, that was human sin and error at it's finest. those who win oscars and trophies get them because they worked really hard for their talent.

and finally, god does care, if you are steadfast and faithful, you will be rewarded. in this life or the next.
Showing 61-75 of 158