ForumsWEPRMormon Talk

158 52010
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

So, I saw a lot of threads such as "Ask a Muslim", "Ask a Jew", etc. and thought I'd make one of my own. As far as I can tell, Mormonism is one of the most widely misunderstood religions, so I thought I'd clear a few things up. Now, I'm not like a stake president or anything, but I'll do my best to answer your questions. I can't guarantee I have an answer to all of them. I would prefer it if this thread were not to turn into a religious debate. I've tried debating religion before. As far as I can tell, if you took a recording of a theist's arguments and a recording of an atheist's arguments, stuck them together and played them, you'd get approximately the same amount of actual thinking and listening as what goes into the actual debates. That's not to say atheists aren't allowed to ask questions, of course, just that I'm asking you not to turn this into a debate. I would also request that you keep this civil and polite. I will joke about my own religion sometimes, jokes are fine as long as humor, not malice, is the intent. But I will treat your beliefs with respect and expect you to do the same for mine. Thanks.
So now...go ahead and ask.

• 158 Replies
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

Why did God create man with 6 muscles to control eye movement? Three muscles would be sufficient.

It may be insufficient but I would just like to see you design a better human body that can do everything ours does just as well.
uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

It may be insufficient but I would just like to see you design a better human body that can do everything ours does just as well.

Could I design a better human body, no definitely not. It took millions of years of evolution for man to emerge as a distinct species. I was simply posing a simple question as to one curiosity of human form. I am sure, when technology progresses, someone will be able to improve upon the human eye. With genetic engineering, perhaps human design could be improved, but there are obvious ethical problems with this sort of thing. But it's all beyond my limited scope of knowledge.

Just because it has never been done by man and it is not currently within the realm of science to do so does not mean "God did it." But I guess some people are just willing to live with that explanation.

and finally, god does care, if you are steadfast and faithful, you will be rewarded. in this life or the next.

So, if I live my life in a good way, helping others in need, not harming others, not stealing, not cheating on my wife, not worshiping false idols and whatever else you want to throw in there, my only "sin" is not believing in God, will I be rewarded in the next life?

Or despite living a good life is God so narcissistic that he would punish me for my disbelief despite doing good? I can't imagine that God would be that insecure.
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

So, if I live my life in a good way, helping others in need, not harming others, not stealing, not cheating on my wife, not worshiping false idols and whatever else you want to throw in there, my only "sin" is not believing in God, will I be rewarded in the next life?
Or despite living a good life is God so narcissistic that he would punish me for my disbelief despite doing good? I can't imagine that God would be that insecure.

Actually, UselessNoob, as I have said before part of the Mormon belief is that non-Mormons will be punished or rewarded in the afterlife based on their actions, not their beliefs.

And, well, I can't say I didn't see this coming. But I am a little disappointed nevertheless. I thought it would take longer for this to turn into a debate.
I would prefer it if this thread were not to turn into a religious debate. I've tried debating religion before. As far as I can tell, if you took a recording of a theist's arguments and a recording of an atheist's arguments, stuck them together and played them, you'd get approximately the same amount of actual thinking and listening as what goes into the actual debates. That's not to say atheists aren't allowed to ask questions, of course, just that I'm asking you not to turn this into a debate.

Here's the next step in your debate, I'll just save you two the trouble.
Bladerunner: God is merciful and kind. *quotes some passages like Exodus 34:6 and Psalm 145:8*
Uselessnoob: Your god is barbaric and cruel. *quotes some passages like Leviticus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 3:6*.
*rinse and repeat until the debate changes subjects slightly*

So if God was a man, was he created, too?

Yes, He was. But we do not know how or why or when or any of that. Mormonism is one of the few religions that admits it doesn't know everything.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

hmmmmm...well I guess it ends that debate.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Since MostlyToasty mentioned this to me:

Why don't Mormons drink coffee?

uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

Actually, UselessNoob, as I have said before part of the Mormon belief is that non-Mormons will be punished or rewarded in the afterlife based on their actions, not their beliefs.

So then, what is the point of religion? If you don't need to believe, then why believe? Be a good person, live a good life and reject religious tyranny. Life free.

Gods' got your back either way.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

So then, what is the point of religion? If you don't need to believe, then why believe? Be a good person, live a good life and reject religious tyranny. Life free.

It's a personal matter. If a person wants to be religious, that is their call.
uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

It's a personal matter. If a person wants to be religious, that is their call.

Fair enough. I just don't see any extrinsic benefit to religion when the actual practice is not necessary in of itself.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

After scrolling through some webpages, i want to add to my coffee question.

Is it true it was originally the issue of caffeine?

uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

So is decaffeinated coffee allowed? I drink a minimum of 5 shots of espresso a day so I take issue with a religion that would disallow coffee consumption.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

See, i don't know.
Mostly was telling me his religion does not allow him to drink coffee.
(After i made a comment about my lack of it)
Then i looked into it, and it's due to the translation of "Hot drinks" apparently. However less orthodox mormons have said the evil lies in caffeine and therefore they drink decaf.

Mormon answer?

MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

Gods' got your back either way.
Fair enough. I just don't see any extrinsic benefit to religion when the actual practice is not necessary in of itself.

Mormons are rewarded for their faith by getting to live in the presence of the Lord as deities in their own right.

Why don't Mormons drink coffee?

Going back to the Word of Wisdom...
Doctrine and Covenants 89: 5-7: No strong drinks, with the exception of the pure, sacred wine used in Sacrament. "Strong drink" includes alcohol and hot drinks with caffeine such as coffee and tea.
Doctrine and Covenants 88 No tobacco or drugs.
Doctrine and Covenants 49: 19-21: You should eat meat, but it is shameful to disrespect the sacrifice of the animal by wasting it.
Doctrine and Covenants 59:15-20: Eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and grains.
Doctrine and Covenants 88: 124: Maintain personal hygiene, go to sleep early, and wake up early.
According to the Divine Promise at the end of the Word of Wisdom, people who follow these things will be blessed with divine health and wisdom. However, we should not judge people who don't follow the Word of Wisdom.

So is decaffeinated coffee allowed? I drink a minimum of 5 shots of espresso a day so I take issue with a religion that would disallow coffee consumption.

I'm not positive, but I think it's the caffeine that makes it a strong drink. Therefore, decaffeinated coffee and decaffeinated tea would be allowed. But you might want to ask the local bishop, because I'm not sure.
Some other Mormons, myself included, also count other caffeinated drinks such as soft drinks as being strong drinks and thus prohibited, so we don't drink those either.
KineticNinja
KineticNinja
167 posts
Nomad

do mormon's beleve in ufos

I haven't found a single one of your posts that are 7 words or over and yet none of them get removed...
CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
891 posts
Nomad

do mormon's beleve in ufos

This isn't really a religious question anyways and I personally don't.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I've wondered this for a while, since the words "Mormon" and "Moron" are so close, do you often get flak from that? I'm not trying to imply anything here, i'm just curious.

Showing 76-90 of 158