ForumsGames[spam necro] Good Laptops For Gaming?

10 8223
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

So, I want to get Steam so I can play with my friends that are PC gamers. Only problem is that my current laptop (Toshiba Portege R705, 4GB) can't really handle games like TF2, Half Life, even Minecraft. Any ideas for my next laptop? It always starts lagging and freeing up. So any good gaming laptops ? Or must I get a large stationary one?

Thanks in advance.

• 10 Replies
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Asus are great for gaming laptops, and it you are willing to spend a little more Alienware does make good gaming laptops. Be advised. AW is a lot more expensive, and Asus does make some quality stuff. Start there.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Alienware does make good gaming laptops

This, you are paying for the brand but you're guaranteed quality and most of their stuff is top notch.

Here are some things you would want to see in a good laptop
-At least quad core processor
-1gb video card that's dedicated, no integrated/shared non-sense.
-500 gb hardrive
- 4 gigs of ram

Cheapest alien ware runs at $700 and can run all the games you listed. But even a weaker dual core, low end 512mb video card and 2 gigs of ram can run what you listed.
KineticNinja
KineticNinja
167 posts
Nomad

Alienware m17x and ASUS are really the only good ones I can think of... Any new laptop will be good for gaming though as long as it has over 350 gb hard drive and a 1gb graphics and atleast 3 gigs of ram. HP ones would be a good example

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

This is the one I was going to get and it should be able to games well.

Alienware latops are overpriced they aren't worth the money the only good thing about them is how they look.

Another cheaper alternative is

which is very cheap but the specs aren't as good as the lenovo

make sure you shop around and look at reviews before you buy dont go off just one persons opinion like people who think alienware are awesome because they are simply hyped up to make people think they are amazing even though they cost stupid amounts of money for what you get.

Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

No laptop is best for gaming, if you want a good computer for gaming buy a desktop.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

No laptop is best for gaming, if you want a good computer for gaming buy a desktop.

I hate people that say this because.

Read the thread title he doesn't say he wants a desktop most people know desktop is better but guess what try and move with a desktop its not going to work ever thought that he wants to move around with it or has little space.

Anyway if you can build a desktop and have enough room that is alot better and cheaper if you didn't know but I guess you do.

Oh and it would help if you said how much you are willing to spend
Zoey1092
Zoey1092
111 posts
Nomad

So, I want to get Steam so I can play with my friends that are PC gamers. Only problem is that my current laptop (Toshiba Portege R705, 4GB) can't really handle games like TF2, Half Life, even Minecraft. Any ideas for my next laptop? It always starts lagging and freeing up. So any good gaming laptops ? Or must I get a large stationary one?

K Well My Friend Has A Great One, No Lag In Full Out TNT On Minecraft. Sadly I Dont Know What It Is. If I Find Out I'll Tell Ya.

A Ram Upgrade Would Really Speed Up Ur Comp B/C I Have The Same Laptop And Thats Wat I Did...

Also A Price Range Would Help Ppl Post A Good Laptop For You.

For Best Results Ask On Yahoo Answers
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

You don't really need much ram but 8gb ram is great.

I looked up your toshiba and you have done what alot of people do, you buy a laptop that has intel hd graphics because you think that is good when it is really bad because it will have trouble running most games you want dedicated graphics like the nvidia 500m series are pretty good and around 2.4Ghz+

terminaato
terminaato
9 posts
Peasant

Just a reminder - so far there are no games that are able to make use of 4 cores. Alienware is like Mac - you are paying the extra 500$ for the brand.
Asus are great, I also have an Asus laptop right now. Make sure you don't get a graphics card worse than GT 540M for nVidia or 6650M for ATI (no xx30's are good).

susilo
susilo
93 posts
Nomad

try acer.... good and cheap....

Showing 1-10 of 10