ForumsThe Tavernvegetarians and fish or: are fishes animals or plants?

42 7057
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

ever heard from a vegetarian that he/she never eats meat but then he/she says he/she likes fish. and dont start to argue that fishes are meat because they say then its not. i think fishes are animals.

what do you think, are fishes plants or animals? are you a vegetarian and eat fish?

• 42 Replies
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

I have no opinion on the use of "nit-wit" to describe vegetarians.

Not all of them, just some of them. Should have been more clear.

I think a fish is meat and therefore shouldn't be eaten by vegetarians.

Talk to the crazy scientist people who make this stuff up. I'm just saying, I don't really defend it.

I agree that vegans won't eat fish, but if a vegetarian eats fish, that is hypocritical because vegetarians don't eat meat.

I never understood it entirely myself.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Talk to the crazy scientist people who make this stuff up.

Um.. terms like meat or fish, in a culinary matter, and generally too, aren't really all too scientifical; also I don't consider anyone a scientist who says not eating meat at all is good for you. So forgive me if I have a hard time understanding your statement.
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

Um.. terms like meat or fish, in a culinary matter, and generally too, aren't really all too scientifical; also I don't consider anyone a scientist who says not eating meat at all is good for you. So forgive me if I have a hard time understanding your statement.

Don't worry about it. I'm not going to try and explain. Just end up confusing myself too then.

They tend to say they eat nothing with a face? Now that's the most ridiculous excuse I've heard XD

I find it hilarious!
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Technically, the steak in my plate doesn't have a face. Wouldn't that allow vegs to eat it? :P
But I guess then vegetarians could also eat jellyfish. You think it's yummy?^^

KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

Fishes are animals, a vegetarian who eats fish is not a full vegetarian, but a pescetarian.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

But I guess then vegetarians could also eat jellyfish. You think it's yummy?^^

lol^^

@KineticNinja can you explain what a pescetarian is?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Is fish meat?

from wiki

Meat is animal flesh that is used as food. Most often, this means the skeletal muscle and associated fat and other tissues, but it may also describe other edible tissues such as organs and offal. In the Anglosphere, meat is generally used by the meat packing industry in a more restrictive senseâ"the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, lambs, etc.) raised and prepared for human consumption, to the exclusion of fish, poultry, and other animals. Usage varies worldwide by culture, and some countries such as India have large populations that avoid the consumption of all or most kinds of meat. Game or bush meat is also generally distinguished from that produced by agriculture.

from Merriam-Webster
a : food; especially : solid food as distinguished from drink b : the edible part of something as distinguished from its covering (as a husk or shell)
: animal tissue considered especially as food: a : flesh 2b; also : flesh of a mammal as opposed to fowl or fish b : flesh 1a; specifically : flesh of domesticated animals

archaic : 1meal 1; especially : dinner
a : the core of something : heart b : pith 2b <a novel with meat>
: favorite pursuit or interest

Conclusion, depends.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Peskatarian: Someone who is too lazy to be a vegetarian, and will only eat fish. Refraining from the consumption of mammals. (Urban Dictionary)

Why is everyone so into labels?

I don't eat fish, so what am i? ;o a tarianpeska? Let's create a new name for that then.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

Why is everyone so into labels?

Is that to say you don't think we should call people by what they eat? To me, each person is either a vegetarian or not. I also think vegetarians don't eat fish because fish are meat.

Conclusion, depends.

Why would you consider

: animal tissue considered especially as food: a : flesh 2b; also : flesh of a mammal as opposed to fowl or fish b : flesh 1a; specifically : flesh of domesticated animals

to mean depends? I say fish are meat because of what I bolded as well as reasons from my previous arguments on this topic.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

1 "Sorry I can't eat that beef steak."
2 "why are you vegetarian?"
1 "No I am peskatarian, I only eat fish"

lol, but does that mean they dont eat fruits or veggetables? ONLY fish? and what do they drink then?

Cranium80
Cranium80
489 posts
Shepherd

Fish are obviously not plants. People who only eat fruits and vegetables are vegetarians. Vegetarians who also eat fish are more correctly called &quotescatarians"

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

[quote]1 "Sorry I can't eat that beef steak."
2 "why are you vegetarian?"
1 "No I am peskatarian, I only eat fish"

lol, but does that mean they dont eat fruits or veggetables? ONLY fish? and what do they drink then?[/quote]

I think the "I only eat fish" part means fish is the only meat they eat. Also, I would consider such a person to be simply non-vegetarian.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

lol, but does that mean they dont eat fruits or veggetables? ONLY fish? and what do they drink then?

Easy, the water from the fish guts.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

Easy, the water from the fish guts.

that made my day.

humans are sometimes unlogic. they say something and do then something different like "shut the lights down they use to much energy" but then they let the tv on the whole night. or "i dont eat meat but i eat fish and fish is not meat"...facepalm...

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

In the time of the Lent/fast, people were not allowed to eat meat. This did not include the young of hares and rabbits as well as fish. If I remember correctly, fish was not considered meat as it was cold blooded, and thus not "alive".
This makes it a pretty old thought.

Besides, not all vegetarians are quite alike, and many might not be taking the strictest route to their goal.

Besides, considering the many different reasons why one might choose to be a vegetarian, I do not find it particularly odd that some might supplement their diet with fish (which is rather healthy, after all, and not under the same taboo of other meats), just like some add milk and eggs as part of their diet.

Showing 16-30 of 42