ForumsThe TavernHomework Help

15 2884
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

This is for people who need help with their homework or studies. Anyone can ask questions, and anyone can answer, but this is not for people just to get their homework done for them. So if you're answering, try to use an example instead of the actual problem they have presented.

• 15 Replies
KeenuTehUneek
KeenuTehUneek
91 posts
Nomad

I found a website called WolframAlpha.
Major help, especially for maths homework.
Seriously, that program is hella smart.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,231 posts
Jester

this could help. except you probably can't answer my soccial studies questions, and i have the textbook, im just lazy :P

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

If you guys need help/too lazy to use your textbook - the best way is just scanning through google to get an overview.
That's what i do to get content on a topic i haven't previously studied.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

If I have trouble with homework, I'm pretty much covered for Spanish (use a translator so that the sentences where you need to fill in a blank make sense and for conjugating verbs), English (usually book overviews and analysis), etc.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Yeah most people google it. But to stay on topic, I sorta forgot to do fractions. Adding, multiplying, switching to percent, switching to decimal. What can I say, my text book is down stairs
I just need a place to come to to have all this stuff together for when I forget again.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

You know, the point of homework is to learn, not to just bs it and turn it in for free points. I've always hated homework because it does nothing for me and wastes my time, but if you need help with it - it's not wasting your time because you obviously don't know it well enough yet. So, just googling an answer may help you but more likely than not you won't learn anything from it.

greentrev106
greentrev106
179 posts
Shepherd

I go to youtube for math homework and I have found videos that are a big help.

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

I sorta forgot to do fractions. Adding, multiplying, switching to percent, switching to decimal. What can I say, my text book is down stairs

Wow, it's been forever since I've done fractions.

To convert a fraction to a decimal, divide the numerator(top number) by the denominator(bottom number). To convert a fraction to a percentage, first find the decimal, then convert that to a percentage. So if the fraction is 3/4, you would divide 3 by 4, which is 0.75, which is 75%. 3/4 = 0.75 = 75%

To add fractions, first you must make the denominators equal. So if the problem is 2/5 + 8/9, you need to find the least common denominator. It is usually easiest for me just to multiply the 2 denominators, in this case 5 and 9. And if you multiply the denominator, you must do the same thing to the numerator. So 2/5 becomes 18/45, and 8/9 becomes 40/45. 40 - 18 = 22, so the answer is 22/45. If possible, you would also simplify the fraction.

To multiply fractions, multiply the numerator by the numerator and the denominator by the denominator. So in 3/4 times 5/8, you would multiply 3 times 5 and 4 times 8, which equals 15/32. Again, if it is possible to simplify it, you should.
Demetra
Demetra
62 posts
Nomad

I need help to finish my 521 pages Constitutional Law book.
Till next week!Biiigg exam!

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Do you just have to read it?
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

I get between 150-300 pages from day to day, sometimes from class to class.
Though, you should probably think about starting now. And remember to regular breaks.

Demetra
Demetra
62 posts
Nomad

Do you just have to read it?

I need to know some important things.Ill read it and i will highlight the most important.And we will see
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Well, you could do like one of my former classmates did.
He highlighted while going through the text, THEN he highlighted with a second colour afterwards, and then he highlighted the important highlighted text.
I am sure it worked for him, but it seemed a little excessive to me.

Another idea might be looking through it lightly, then using a notepad or a piece of paper or something to either write down the page number or as a bookmark, whenever you find something that looks relatively important. Then you can always go back and read more in depth later. Less important stuff can then be read on the side.

MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

To add fractions, first you must make the denominators equal. So if the problem is 2/5 + 8/9, you need to find the least common denominator. It is usually easiest for me just to multiply the 2 denominators, in this case 5 and 9. And if you multiply the denominator, you must do the same thing to the numerator. So 2/5 becomes 18/45, and 8/9 becomes 40/45. 40 - 18 = 22, so the answer is 22/45. If possible, you would also simplify the fraction.

Oops. I forgot that I was supposed to be adding, not subtracting. >.>
So 18/45 + 40/45 = 58/45 = 1 13/45.

If possible, I find that studying with other people is a big help. You could get together in a study group with your friends and delegate reading(for example, one person could read the first 100 pages, another could read the next 100, etc.). That way, you don't have to read 500 pages yourself and won't get swamped with all that information. Each person could write down the important parts and bring that to the group, and everyone could study the important parts.
If a study group is not an option, my advice is to divide the pages between the days. So if you have the exam in a week and the book is 521 pages, here's what you would do. Read 87 pages a day, take notes on those pages, and study them until you know the important stuff. Reading 87 pages a day, you will finish the book in 6 days, which means you can use the final day to go back over and review your notes from before.
Highlighting in the book is sometimes not allowed, if the book is school property. If I were you, I would write down the important parts in my notebook so that I can go home and study them without having to track them down in the book. Plus, writing things down can help commit them to memory. If it helps, you might also want to try saying it aloud. If you don't like writing, then sticky notes are your best friend. Just slap the sticky note on the page where the important thing is, and label what is on the page on the sticky note(e.g. Constitution History, Second Amendment, Bill of Rights, etc.). That way, if you feel like you want to study up on a specific subject, just find the sticky note.
If the professor or teacher writes something down twice or underlines it, write that down in your notebook and make sure to study it later.
Good luck with your exam.
Showing 1-15 of 15