ForumsThe TavernI just found out something that might be of interest to you.

11 2281
KeenuTehUneek
KeenuTehUneek
91 posts
Nomad

Although the majority says so, the word "noob" actually does not mean "newbie".

The word "noob" originates from Noob Saibot, a Mortal Kombat character.
It was originally used as "Stop running away, Noob!" because Noob Saibot could teleport.

It became known as a slang version of "newbie" because new players tend to flee from a battle when at low health.
It's probably also because "noob" is pronounced the same as "newb".

And so, "noob" means a person who can teleport.
Least that's what I heard. >_>

• 11 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Words are generally what one makes them to be. Especially true for words on the internet. Which this form for communication, language evolves rather fast, which I assume is why we have Urban Dictionary.

To me, noob is an insult and not synonymous with newbie in any way.

KeenuTehUneek
KeenuTehUneek
91 posts
Nomad

language evolves rather fast

I never really thought about that.
Guess a lot of my previous arguments are invalid. *sadfaic*
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Although the majority says so, the word "noob" actually does not mean "newbie".

I don't think the majority thinks that. Newb and noob are not the same things, although I never heard of your version, which is funny btw.
Newb or newbie are generally used to describe people who are inexperienced due to being new to the game. According to wiki, this could possibly go back to British schools, as a word for first terms.
Noob, in contrast, is used for people who despite being used to the game, act stupid or like newcomers.
That's the way I know it.
Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

ii guess noob tou over time adapte into the meaning newbie infact thats how most expressions came to be

jt25rox
jt25rox
332 posts
Peasant

And so, "noob" means a person who can teleport.
Least that's what I heard. >_>

*Facepalm*

I actually means a total jerk . its like a cheater/hacker but they actually do everything right. but the use as some like to call "gay weps" grenade launchers, random claymores, china lakes. i never found it as newbie. also in hardcore they are the ones who shoot teammates on purprose
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

To me the word noob is just an insult, newbie is completly different from noob to me, like jt said, usualy it means that someone is just upset that you use a certain wepon or do something sensible that makes them win.

Cranium80
Cranium80
489 posts
Shepherd

the title of this forum is incorrect. I do not find this interesting.

gamer1111111
gamer1111111
204 posts
Farmer

Me neither although I do find noob a pretty good insult.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Me neither although I do find noob a pretty good insult.

I disagree. When someone starts calling someone else a noob I usually assume they're idiots, and that's usually the case too.

Not saying people who use the word are idiots, but idiots are overrepresented among the users of the word.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I disagree. When someone starts calling someone else a noob I usually assume they're idiots, and that's usually the case too.

I agree, it's usually because someone was smarter than the other person and used a tactic that completly destroyed the other, then the other person tries to justify himself for losing by calling the winner "noob".
Valks
Valks
262 posts
Nomad

Something of interest to me? Liar.

I remember Smoke being able to do an annoying teleport too, though.

Showing 1-11 of 11