ForumsThe TavernMyths for Mythbusters

30 4395
cbreezy623
cbreezy623
59 posts
Nomad

Tell a myth you think should be on mythbusters. My myths are: Do mice like cheese more than other foods; Does your life flash before you in a near death experience.

• 30 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, I agree comandet p. Plus, i just want to see the boat light on fire. But it was very bright so maybe what happened in the real thing was some guy got blinded and droped a torch or something and the boat burned

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

I want them to do an entire episode on hiccup cures to find out if any of them actually work.

it depends on eatch person. just try them out.
ive found a way to stop my hiccups years ago wich still proofs working a 100% for me.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

it depends on eatch person. just try them out.

You don't know that until you try them. I'm pretty sure most if not all the cures are just jokes to see how ridiculous people will act to try to get rid of hiccups. It is possible that these cures are working as placebos though.
Peter20
Peter20
543 posts
Peasant

Do birds explode when they eat rice

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

You don't know that until you try them. I'm pretty sure most if not all the cures are just jokes to see how ridiculous people will act to try to get rid of hiccups. It is possible that these cures are working as placebos though.

hiccups are a contraction of the diaphragm. to let it stop you have to controle your breath. the contraction of the diaphragm causes a sudden inhalation. when you drink something (slowly whitout breathing) you prevent that from happening.
gone in 20 sec for me evry time. and even if it is a placebo effect. i'm happy that i never have to worry about it happening for a longer time. it's gone when i want it to be gone ^^ .
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Pfft. Hiccups. They are just a muscle spasm. All you do to stop them is...stop them. Just like not moving your arm. I have not hiccuped more than 2 times in a row in 8 years so don't tell me you can't just stop it >.>

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Pfft. Hiccups. They are just a muscle spasm. All you do to stop them is...stop them. Just like not moving your arm. I have not hiccuped more than 2 times in a row in 8 years so don't tell me you can't just stop it >.>

then your able to controle the right muscle. not evry1 is able to do that. just like not evry1 is able to move it's ears up and down and others can. or other simular things.
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Can robots really have souls (or become self-aware)?
Is it possible that the Theory of Gravity is incorrect?
(in a more philosophical question)Is it possible that we don't really exist (in a physical sense)?
Of course, these probably go a little deep for Mythbusters, but whatevs :P

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Is it possible that we don't really exist (in a physical sense)?

If you can smack your arm into a desk, I'm pretty sure that means you physically exist.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

If you can smack your arm into a desk, I'm pretty sure that means you physically exist.

Not to mention we can die.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

(in a more philosophical question)Is it possible that we don't really exist (in a physical sense)?

I think you're completely missing the purpose of mythbusters.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Of course, these probably go a little deep for Mythbusters, but whatevs :P

those are questions not myths.
the mythbusters need something to base their experiments on to see if the myth holds truet.
mythbusters do not answer questions.
Deathdealer14
Deathdealer14
101 posts
Nomad

You know, I come up with really good, and interesting ones all the time, but by the time I get to Discovery.com, I FORGET!!!!!

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

i just want to see the boat light on fire. But it was very bright so maybe what happened in the real thing was some guy got blinded and droped a torch or something and the boat burned

The attack was commenced in the daytime, so why would anyone have a torch? Either way, according to the histories, Archimedes didn't just fry one ship, he decimated an entire FLEET.

The brightness you reference is simply glare. Glare is an ambient, unfocused reflection similar to the effect of bright sunshine on a field of ice. Had the experiment been properly executed, the sunlight would have been focused into an area 12-18 inches across on the boat. That area would have flashed very quickly, the fire would then spread and the mirrors could be shifted to the next target.

There is a video online of a guy that made a solar reflector that will instantly ignite wood and will actually cut through metal. Obviously, it is small-scale, but it is a good representation of the base concept. The address is below:

[url=http://www.videobash.com/video_show/homemade-solar-death-ray-12294?utm_source=waveflow&utm_medium=PT&utm_campaign=waveflow-redirect_sfw_mgps-sfw_videos]
Showing 16-29 of 30