ForumsThe Tavern[HYPOTHETICAL] Gravity

19 2589
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Well, everybody knows that gravity is the thing that keeps us from floating on space.

People also know that the gravitational center of Earth is it's nucleus.

So, now a HYPOTHETICAL question:

If someone managed to make a hole that crossed the Earth from one side to another, and then something fall on it, this thing would reach the other side or would be stuck in the middle?

Of course, DISREGARDING heat, pressure, etc.

The point is that, once the center of gravity in Earth is it's nucleus, why something would reach the other side and not being stuck in the middle?

This is a very hypothetical question. Disregarding ALL the things that might stop the object from falling, what do you think it would happen? Would it reach the other side or would it be stuck in the middle?

In my opinion, it would be stuck in the middle. Or if the object reached a force of 10+ newtons (more than the gravity's ~9,8 N), it would be in an endless loop, once it would pass the gravitational center and then be pulled back again, and so on.

So, what do you think? (once again, this is a hypothetical question: Don't you answer asking about heat or pressure when I said to disregard them before)

• 19 Replies
Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

It would sort of jump from one end to the other, but losing distance each time, kind of like a bungee jumper. Eventually it would come to rest at the center.
If we're really disregarding EVERYTHING that would stop it, it would go all the way to the other end and back to where it started if we ignored air resistance.

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

I believe that it would slowly "bounce" back and forth (up and down the hole) because of the gravitational pull would cause it to accelerate, and then decelerate. It would eventually end up in the middle, however.

[quote=devsaupa](I am also assuming that death by starvation is also being disregarded. If not, bring snacks)[/quote]
lol

SRK32
SRK32
13 posts
Peasant

It would get past Earth's center then come back and keep going back and forth like an infinite loop

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

It depends on whether the object had any momentum when it began to fall. With enough starting momentum, it would go to the other side and either go in a loop or land on the other side of the world.

Showing 16-19 of 19