ForumsThe TavernTerms of Agreement

15 2084
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I was recently reading the Terms of Agreement for a game called ise of Immortals and came upon this sentence in section 5a.

arising from any cause beyond Petroglyphâs control, including, without limitation, war, insurrection, public enemy, acts of God, terrorist acts, changes in laws, acts or omissions of governmental authorities, labor disputes, strikes, and/or power failures;

The thing I am wondering about is why put "acts of god" on there, it makes me think that this terms of agreement is somewhat of a joke to them.
another example is here
User shall comply with all applicable laws, including, without limitation, privacy, license, firearm, security, decency, and export laws,

Why would they put firearm in here? It's a videogame, not a bar! Do they think someone will somehow bring a gun ingame?

So what I'm asking is, has anyone else seen stuff like this on a terms of agreement? Also is this a joke to them or something?
  • 15 Replies
Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

"I have read the terms of agreement" is probably one of the most common lies these days. I don't always read them myself either and I've never seen anything quite like that in them. That may be a joke or maybe they just wanted to make sure they covered everything. It could also be that they don't think too much about what they write in there because they know that a lot of people don't bother to read them. That firearm thing is just absurd though.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Could be the makers. Bad english and all

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

"I have read the terms of agreement" is probably one of the most common lies these days. I don't always read them myself either and I've never seen anything quite like that in them. That may be a joke or maybe they just wanted to make sure they covered everything. It could also be that they don't think too much about what they write in there because they know that a lot of people don't bother to read them. That firearm thing is just absurd though.

It just annoys me cause I always take my time to read the terms of agreement and this is making a joke of it almost.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

If I am ever going to make a ToA for anything, I am going to make it as wonderfully fun for me as possible. This means making it all a huge joke, and then leaving a link somewhere in the middle to the real ToA for people who are actually reading it, so they can get a little gold star on their profile or something.

I think it was Java that had something about not using their software to make nukes or something.
And, well, you should see it as amusing. People who don't read the ToA would miss out on something like that, so it is like a secret between you and the developers.

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

"Act of God" means something such as a natural disaster or some strange occurrence. For example, if you have insurance that states that it does not cover against Acts of God, it means two things:

--You're being ripped off.
--It won't cover you in case of lightning, earthquakes, meteors, space debris, falling limbs, tornadoes, etc...
Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

So what I'm asking is, has anyone else seen stuff like this on a terms of agreement? Also is this a joke to them or something?

They probably put jokes in it. I mean it would be very boring to write so, you have to break the monotony some how. I know my friend had made terms of agreement for the game he made. It had jokes in it. I've seen some weird stuff in the ToA myself. Like drug trafficking, illegal selling of drugs to minors, illegal possession of firearms, selling of government secrets and, all sorts of other strange stuff.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

"Act of God is a legal term for events outside of human control, such as sudden floods or other natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible."

There.

I think it was Java that had something about not using their software to make nukes or something.
And, well, you should see it as amusing. People who don't read the ToA would miss out on something like that, so it is like a secret between you and the developers.

This must be oddly ironic then.

---

In my opinion, this madness is just a joke from a bored chap or it's typical legalese overkill. They'd want to cover all foreseeable eventualities right? Or are they just being screwy? Probably the latter.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

They'd want to cover all foreseeable eventualities right? Or are they just being screwy? Probably the latter

The game makers don't usually write the terms. Instead, they use a generic one, have a lawyer look it over to see if they can't get sued for anything, and may modify parts sometimes as necessary.
loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

Meh i never ever read a ToA, i doubt anyone does for a GAME i mean it's all a bunch of lawyer gobbledygook to me about what how you'll follow the rules and you can't sue them or something, well i mean if someone does take the time to read it...your fault, just laugh it's two little things

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I usually read a tenth of it then discard. It's always standard stuff ><

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

The game makers don't usually write the terms. Instead, they use a generic one, have a lawyer look it over to see if they can't get sued for anything, and may modify parts sometimes as necessary.

Meh, forgot to mention that. Yeah, they usually do have legal help there.

--

Personally, I skim through the Terms and Conditions when I feel bored enough to or I'm undertaking something serious. Not for just some old game.

If I see all the standard stuff, I just leave it alone and never bother to come back.
loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

Personally, I skim through the Terms and Conditions when I feel bored enough to or I'm undertaking something serious. Not for just some old game.

yeh the ToA is just "That annoying legal stuff in the way of what you want" instead of something people take seriously.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Terms of Agreement are legal documents.

Some words of wisdom: The law isn't a laughing matter. Even when laws are hilarious, you can likely still get hanged for robbery.

They're probably serious.

Yodadude53
Yodadude53
1,495 posts
Nomad

Wow, I'm going to actually start reading ToA just in case something funny is hidden in them.

greenpeople2007
greenpeople2007
399 posts
Nomad

I just read the ToA here, and there is nothing fun on it. It is just legal jargon... Unless I missed something.

Showing 1-15 of 15