ForumsProgramming ForumOpening .exe Files on a Mac.

7 7121
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I was just wondering if anybody knew of a free program that can open .exe files on Mac OSX. Thanks!

• 7 Replies
dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

You can't actually open an .exe in the Mac environment. You'll need a program such as boot camp or parallels to run a Windows based OS, which you will also need to buy.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

I thought that there was a program called "crossover" that lets you run SOME windows based stuff on a mac, i'll have to ask my friend about it, for more info

LordBob
LordBob
517 posts
Nomad

.exe is a Windows based file, which is why you can't run a windows on a mac. The good thing about that is that all viruses run on a .exe file

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I googled Boot Camp. It's only $50. That's not too bad. I might run out and get that later today or tomorrow! Thanks dank.

Kreator
Kreator
133 posts
Nomad

If you have a leopard mac than Boot Camp is already there. You can also buy some software called VM ware.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Boot camp doesn' do anything on it's own, you will have to buy a copy of a windows OS too. You could find some good academic discounts on Windows Vista, I can get a copy for free through the Microsoft Academic Alliance. (or something)

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

@Kreator
I know. Leopard is something I haven't got around to buying yet.

@dank
Thanks, but I was going through my old software and I realized that I had an old copy of Virtual PC for Mac. You can lock this topic.

Showing 1-7 of 7