ForumsThe TavernWhat do you do to get rid of hiccups?

38 7176
auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

Ok so all day in school I've had the hiccups and they're so annoying. It's hard to write a test when every four sec you have to hiccup. I still have them now and I already tried these:

- hold breath for 10 sec
- drink a full glass of water
- exercise a bit

I don't know what else to do and I'm kinda desperate at this point and I want to know what you guys do so I can get rid of these hiccups, thanks.

• 38 Replies
savdebunnies
savdebunnies
111 posts
Nomad

The thing that works for me some how is I just stop hiccuping. I don't know how I just think about stoping and I do.
My 5th grade teacher always said to try to hiccup and they will go away. Worked for half the class.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

I usually drink some water to remove the hiccup. Sometimes I try to hold my breath but it never works.

Keyara
Keyara
370 posts
Nomad

Get a glass of water. Put a spoon in it handle down. Balance the spoon on your nose (without using your hands) as you drink the water.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I just hold my breath until I feel like I am going to pass out. It usually works the first time. If not it works the second time.

JellyBear
JellyBear
229 posts
Nomad

I had the hiccups a lot today; each time I was able to make them go away though. c:

eddyalex
eddyalex
307 posts
Nomad

I wait for it to go away, because its not really annoying for me...

iamlentil64
iamlentil64
88 posts
Nomad

Holding my breath for as long as I can always works for me.

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

I wait for it to go away, because its not really annoying for me...

Same goes for me just ignore them they never last that long tbh only in special circumstances they last longer then 30 minutes and it is rare that I will have them longer for 3 minutes
KhaoticSniper
KhaoticSniper
210 posts
Nomad

Lol i had hiccups then a Car almost ran over me, the the hiccups were gone, i guess that works.

OoberxAllen
OoberxAllen
147 posts
Nomad

Hiccups are caused when you have a build up of oxygen in the body so holding your breath is usually the best cure. I just hold mine as long as I can, breathe a bit, and do it again until they're gone.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Hiccups are caused when you have a build up of oxygen in the body

Uh...no, it's not. It's a muscle spasm.

Lol i had hiccups then a Car almost ran over me, the the hiccups were gone, i guess that works.

That's because you forgot about you hiccups. It's like if you try to hold your arm in the same position for a few hours, you might start twitching. Then you watch it twitch, and it keeps doing so. But once you move your arm around a little and forget about it it stops.

Basically, there's three ways to stop hiccuping.

1) Do some action which involves distracting/moving your throat muscles.
2) Forget about them
3) Control them and stop them yourself <- Is what I do.

They only stay when you focus on them.
johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

I try drinking water and then holding my breath. It works sometimes, but usually doesn't eliminate the problem...

phycticpotato
phycticpotato
132 posts
Nomad

Here's a surefire way to get rid of hiccups. Get your self a spoon and fill it with sugar, honey etc... then eat the contents of the spoon. Or, eat a sour fruit.

(Yes, I realize this guy probabaly does not have the hiccups 3 months later but it is a remedy.)

LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

What i do to get rid of hiccups is hold my breath and swallow my saliva. If that doesn't work then i get a glass of water and pour a mouth full in my mouth. I then go upside down against a wall and attempt to drink it, fail and then watch the water go all over the floor. Luckily, my hiccups are then gone!

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I hold my breath til my lungs scream. No problemos. Or i take a sip from a glass of water, hold my breath, then swallow the water. Usually works

Showing 16-30 of 38