ForumsSupport ForumPop-ups and tracking cookies

8 2250
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I am sure you all have noticed the pop-ups that show up every now and then. The ones that seem to like evading all my blockers.

You just close them, think nothing of them. So did I.

I did until I run my routine virus and such programs. After going one day without it, I got a total of 136 tracking cookies. Which is rather annoying and thought nothing of it until I looked through the list(like I always do).

Two names struck me as familiar: casalemedia.com and doubleclick.net. Which are two of the names I have noticed from the pop-ups here on AG. They consisted of 2/11 of the overall tracking cookies.

Tracking cookies, for all that do not know, collect user information for targeted advertising or to track users through a website for pages visted/ad click-thrus.

This irritates me. First of all, cookies should be good things. Like chocolate chip. Not bad cookies that follow you around and try to get you to buy utter crud. Secondly, I needed the program to find them out and take care of them. I clear all caches and private data every time Firefox closes, so it was not like they were right there and easy to find.

So yeah...anything that can be done about this? Please?

• 8 Replies
KlNG
KlNG
301 posts
Nomad

Yeah, the casalmedia.com seems to get through my blocker also.

Always pops up with free mouse cursors or something.

Not really a big deal for me, since I delete all my browsing history & temporary files.

I'll just add the url to the web-blocker and see if it works ...

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Thats odd. I never get pop-ups on this site anymore. I tot a few of them a while ago, but they stopped about a month ago. Huh, maybe it's because I have a mac

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

^^ Probably the Mac.
Not many people have Macs that I know of, and alot of people complain about popups, so I guess that it is the Mac.

Anyways, I don't really think it is that big of a deal, but is pretty annoying. Just deleting them seems to work with me, but finding a way to get rid of them will be much appreciated!

John
John
345 posts
Nomad

Tracking cookies also function as a threshold. For example, the first time you visit a site you may get a couple pop ups and then after that you get zero... that's because the cookie remembers if you've been given a pop up ad already. So once you delete the cookie you will actually be letting another pop up to come in.

Just saying .

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I guess that they just hate me...because even if I do not delete them for a day or two I get random pop-ups still. It would just be my luck that my computer would be an exception to standard interweb rules. >_<

wow4ever1212
wow4ever1212
192 posts
Shepherd

Yes, I get this quite often Devoidless. But something is really freaking me out, my virus scanner keeps on detecting an InfoStealer, and it is paranoid about it (and so am I). Any solutions on how to get it off or how bad it is?

KlNG
KlNG
301 posts
Nomad

@ wow4ever1212

When did you start detecting that? After a recent update? Downloaded file? Or is it just an internet ad?

armorfighterXg10
armorfighterXg10
44 posts
Nomad

if you press x on the pop up before it loads up, you dont get the cookie that follows you and and when they do, just eat them, there nice lolz

Showing 1-8 of 8