ForumsThe TavernJust deleted cookies in a browser...

6 2354
Kulmegil_
Kulmegil_
35 posts
Herald

Now ALL my flash SOLs (saves) are (again) gone....

"Do You want to clear cookies?" is such an unfair and misguiding message.

Why couldn't they wrote:
"Are You absolutely sure You want to delete all Your cookies, flash SOL's including all Your game saves? And since we're already there .. would You like to format Your system partition as well?"

Mozilla/Adobe I hate You.
Recuva refused to undelete 90% back, excluding some tracking ****.

Such a basic mistake You might say.. but I feel so sad now.

• 6 Replies
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

Oh well, you know better now.

I always value the replay-ability of flash games.

gaboloth
gaboloth
1,612 posts
Peasant

A solution could be just using Chrome, which keeps web cookies and flash SOLs strictly separated.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I delete my cookies often on Firefox and my saves always stay.

Kulmegil_
Kulmegil_
35 posts
Herald

@gaboloth
Does Chrome really do that?
I tested Chrome and it seems that it uses same SOL's location as all activex/mozilla Flash Players.

Starting with Flash 10.3 whenever cookies are deleted by supported browser (supported on IE8+, Fx4+, Chrome11+) Flash should wipe out SOLs as well. Yep it does that from my experience.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

I delete my cookies often on Firefox and my saves always stay.

same here, got no problem whit that. and i'm also using firefox.
chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

The SOL saves are stored in LSO (Super) Cookies. Until recently browsers could not delete these cookies without extensions or special programs. Unfortunately, LSO cookies can hold very large amounts of data and never expire, which can pose a security threat and overtime drag down performance. Recently, browsers have gained the ability to delete these cookies, so yes now your "cookies" also include your precious saves.
Solutions?
Hypothetically, although I haven't tried it, just copy and save your saves somewhere else before you delete your cookies and then put them back after.
Also the Firefox add-on "Better Privacy" can allow you to manage them, delete them individually, or protect them.

And now you know

Showing 1-6 of 6