ForumsThe TavernSlower and Faster

16 4001
wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

I'm talking about time here people. Does it every seem to go slower or faster to you? Like sometimes an hour only seems like a few minutes and a few minutes feels like an hour.
I think that this is caused by a chemical in the brain that is secreted when you are doing any activity. I'm not sure if this is true and feel free to prove me wrong because this is just something I was told in eighth grade by my teacher.
So

• 16 Replies
wipe42
wipe42
819 posts
Nomad

Sorry.. Didn't finish. My mouse is a little messed up on my laptop.
Now as I was trying to say.
So what do you think causes this and have you ever felt this before? Did it confuse you at all when you had this feeling?

auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

Most of the time during school this happens. Like my history class always seems so long, but my music class seems to go by faster than 80 min. Idk why, I think cuz I enjoy music better than history class.

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

Yes, that happens most of the time. Most classes are quite boring and drag on as if hours have passed, while the interesting classes seem to be quite short.

I really do wish that it was the opposite.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

It's been proven that when something exciting is happening, it feels like it's taking longer, then when something boring happens, it's hardly remembered. This video (at about 2:20) has a pretty good explanation of this.

LilystarofFlameclan1
LilystarofFlameclan1
169 posts
Nomad

school is SLOW and FAST.

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

I'm sure we can all agree that time does seem to change speeds. The question is "Why?" I've never heard a scientific explanation before. However, I've come up with my own theory, and to my knowledge I have seen no other theories like mine, and it is this: Have you ever seen the movie "Inception"? well if you pay attention during the movie you can catch the fact that the human mind works faster than words and outside world in general, which is true. So, take two instances for example: A person is sitting alone in a room staring at a clock for, say, 2 hours. It may seem to go by slowly because the human mind indeed works quite fast. If you are engaged in an exciting activity for 2 hours, you become distracted, which then directs attention to the outside world thus "slowing" the speed of your thoughts, thus the illusion of a quicker passage of the time. I hope this is a good explanation and maybe starts some good discussion.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I've never heard a scientific explanation before.

The video i linked just gave one.
AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

[quote] The video i linked just gave one.

To some extent yes. But,

1. That video explanation is more of how many memories you have and how well you remember them.

2. Pause the video at 4:07 and read the words on the bottom.

AfterBurner0
AfterBurner0
896 posts
Nomad

oops didn't mean to make the whole thing a quote. as you can see, i'm relatively new to forums.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

For some reason the beginning of the week is always slow for me. The end of the week is always quick. I have no idea why though.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

it goes fast by the weeks but really slow by the day. and i like it that way.

R3LOAD
R3LOAD
531 posts
Peasant

It always goes slow when I'm waiting for something...

It drags tooooooooooooooo slow when I have double French class on Monday mornings. -.-

auggy2627liveca
auggy2627liveca
347 posts
Shepherd

For me Mondays always go by the fastest, and most of the time it's Thursdays and Tuesdays that seem to go by really slow.

R3LOAD
R3LOAD
531 posts
Peasant

My fastest days are Thursdays and Fridays, heh.

aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

u know when u comment something on AG it takes 30 secs that feels like an hour or 2 or 30 secs matter on how ur brain vein works

Showing 1-15 of 16