ForumsThe TavernWhy do teachers make us Grade our papers with Red Pens?

14 2578
schuetteg6
schuetteg6
270 posts
Nomad

I dont understand, blue or pink or green could work too.

• 14 Replies
eatmydust166
eatmydust166
923 posts
Peasant

My teachers don't care what we grade with, as long as it isn't the same color as the original work. I guess red sticks out more and appeals to the eye, catching it's attention more than other colors do. Personally, I think of the color red as kind of like a warning, so that might be a reason as well.

schuetteg6
schuetteg6
270 posts
Nomad

Well I like it when Im able to use other colors. Red can get out of hand sometimes, I dont know...

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Because they don't. You can't make assumptions that every teacher does this based on your teacher or teachers, my teachers don't even make us grade our tests. If i had to guess a reason why your teachers make you do this, it's because red stands out among no matter which generic color pen you write in (provided you didn't write in red).

schuetteg6
schuetteg6
270 posts
Nomad

Ok just I mean, Green stands out too. Greens freakin awesome. And so are other colors that stand out. Just why red over the other colors. Red sucks!

eatmydust166
eatmydust166
923 posts
Peasant

Red sucks!

Does color really matter? Either way you get the job done and you know what you have to fix.
Greens freakin awesome

I would much rather prefer green, because it's my favorite color xD
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Green stands out too.

Yes, but why would a teacher assume that everyone in the class has a strange color pen like green?

Red sucks!

Why?
schuetteg6
schuetteg6
270 posts
Nomad

First of all...

Yes, but why would a teacher assume that everyone in the class has a strange color pen like green?

We should get to use the pen of our choice. Its better and well know its ours when we get it back, which will make it personal.

I would much rather prefer green, because it's my favorite color xD

I love green too. like I said, Its freakin awesome!
MostlyToastly
MostlyToastly
102 posts
Nomad

I'm actually past the "grade your own papers" phase, since I'm in college...
But when I was in high school and middle school, we graded our own papers. It depended on the teacher, but most of them didn't care what color pen we used as long as it wasn't black and you hadn't used that same pen to write the original. It needs to stand out against the original writing so that the teacher knows it's a correction.
Now I think I'll play the devil's advocate.

We should get to use the pen of our choice. Its better

Why is it better?

and well know its ours when we get it back, which will make it personal.

There are only so many colors for pens, and there are probably 20-30 people per class. There is going to be a lot of color overlap whether it's red, green, purple, or rainbow. It's impossible for it to be personal.

Red sucks!
Greens freakin awesome

That's your personal opinion.

We should get to use the pen of our choice. Its better and well know its ours when we get it back, which will make it personal.

Does the teacher give you these red pens, or do you have to buy them yourselves?
LilystarofFlameclan1
LilystarofFlameclan1
169 posts
Nomad

i love red.it reminds me of blood.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I never really questioned it, I've always hated regular pens because you can't erase them. I only use them for writing my signature on syllabus sheets that the teachers give you at the beginning of the semesters.

aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

the truth is teachers use kill idiotic kids and needto get rid of the blood so theres the truth

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

It makes the writing stand out from the rest of the writing better than some other colors.

DOTxTRI
DOTxTRI
65 posts
Nomad

Maybe because its the only pen that looks good for checking...something

Likuris
Likuris
65 posts
Nomad

red color of the pen reminds them blood which will appear when your parents punish you tough

Showing 1-14 of 14