ForumsThe TavernHy-Brasil

8 3578
Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,078 posts
Nomad

According to Gaelic mythology (and some geographic evidence) there was this little island in the Atlantic Ocean called 'Hy-Brasil'. In the Gaelic myths, the people who lived on Hy-Brasil had technology far more advanced than our own and high moral values.
Here's an image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jLW1IQbJQe0/ThsjLqeZgHI/AAAAAAAABMc/O_w7lDD5WuU/s1600/Porcupine_Bank_and_Seabight%252C_NE_Atlantic.png
See that random light blue dot? That's believed to be Hy-Brasil by some.
Personally, I don't believe that the myths of people who lived on Hy-Brasil are true, but the island was there at one point. Anyone else have thoughts or additions to this?

• 8 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

So Hy-Brasil is like Atlantis? I think its possible. Although if they were so advanced I'd expect that they would leave the island before it was swallowed up. Unless of cours some freak incident knocked them out. Are there any myths on that?

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hy-Brasil? This name highly resembles my country's name. Anyway, I think that's probable. But I think that it would be a little farther. Or else their technology would run the world very fast.

What the myths said that happened to them??

Although if they were so advanced I'd expect that they would leave the island before it was swallowed up

Agreed
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

There are a lot of random light-blue dots in that picture.

Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,078 posts
Nomad

This name highly resembles my country's name

Hy-Brasil was originally thought to be the origin of Brazil, but brazilwood trees (named for the Portuguese word for ember) are the true source.
The light blue dot I speak of is the one right above the 'k' in 'Porcupine Bank'. Here's a really old map picture. http://www.o-fu-online.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Ortelius_1572_Ireland_Map.jpg The dot off the coast of Ireland with the name 'Brasil' is Hy-Brasil.
So Hy-Brasil is like Atlantis?

Only the people who lived there weren't descended from the god of the sea. Just a really ancient clan of Irish people.
There are also theories that the Hy-Brasilians did escape... and they basically became the gods that everyone knows, as they held very high moral values.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,231 posts
Jester

does that mean if we anger the Hy-Brasilians, we'll be nuked?

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

we'll be nuked?

Worse than that! They have advanced technology! Our ears will explode and eyes will become bananas.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I think the Island excisted/excists but not the future, modern people, because if they were really advanced they wouldn't have stayed on that little island.

Only the people who lived there weren't descended from the god of the sea. Just a really ancient clan of Irish people.
There are also theories that the Hy-Brasilians did escape... and they basically became the gods that everyone knows, as they held very high moral values.

Reminds me a little about Assassins Creed,
Likuris
Likuris
65 posts
Nomad

Brazil was on the maps till the XIX century and disappeared, in fact, less than a century ago. But this time he turned from the largest island in a small rock Brazil, which was recorded on a very large map of the North Atlantic that John Purdy made in 1825. Finally, in 1873, when during a voyage on this ocean area wasn't found the rock, the British Admiralty considered it more appropriate to remove it from the cards.

Showing 1-8 of 8