ForumsThe TavernCybernetic Implants, pros and cons

13 6132
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I would like to know what you think of cybernetic implants. This would be a discussion on future technology, as we do not really have such things now. I'm talking about phones in one's head, replacement limbs, being able to merge with computers and related ideas.

I'm steampunk and cyberpunk. I have a liking for gears and iron, as well as hexagons and titanium, so I have mixed thoughts on "Cybernetic Augmentation"

But I'd like to know what you people think

• 13 Replies
Likuris
Likuris
65 posts
Nomad

Do you mean something like what was shown in SouthPark - like Humansentipad?

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/southpark_humancentipad-580x360.jpg

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Or do you mean something like Deus Ex HR?
I really don't know what u mean.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

as we do not really have such things now.

We do have some of it now. It can be very helpful for people who have lost limbs and other body parts. In the future we might be able to under go such additions willingly for other reasons.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I mean all general references, Deus Ex HR, and real life. Although I have found that game to be disturbingly like real life, at least, the motives and morals. Anyway, I mean every thing, new eyes, fake limbs, internal phones etc etc.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

It would be nice if they advance the new leg/arm thing so people with no arm or leg aren't as disabled as I see.

KrissKhan
KrissKhan
271 posts
Farmer

We're only at the begin of cyber technology and even if some problems can occur in the future(Like Deux Ex shows it), I don't understand how we could be against it. I mean, give an arm or a leg to a disabled person, it's like give him a new life.

So I'm PRO

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Yes, but people giving up their arms, legs, EYEBALLS and having to take drugs otherwise their body rejects the implants is kinda sick, but I don't think that'll happen.
I think it should only be for disabled people.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Yes, but people giving up their arms, legs, EYEBALLS and having to take drugs otherwise their body rejects the implants is kinda sick, but I don't think that'll happen.

Maybe we will work out another way around the rejection issue.
KrissKhan
KrissKhan
271 posts
Farmer

If we can make efficient cybernetic arms and legs and other stuff... I think the rejection will be just an other "little" issue to be solved.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Pro: cybernetic implants especially for limbs are getting better and better, it offers a new hope to those either born without or having lost a limb. Also, in the near future I'm sure blind and deaf people will be able to get implants giving them their senses back, at least to a certain grade, and with improving technology, maybe even improved (though that's a bit utopic for now... it will cost a lot at first)

Con: the same con with almost all technological improvement; misuse, overuse, malfunctions, loss of private sphere, military use, safety risks, and so on.

Question: I never thought all that much about it, but since some of you talk about rejections, do cybernetic prostheses really get rejected that often? Normally it happen because your body rejects a foreign tissue, so an organic replacement; do artificial limbs trigger a similar reactions too, and why?

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I don't really unerstand how taking non rejecting drugs go with the eyeballs part, but it made me think of how people might find that the implants are soon better than their real limbs and the might cut off their arms for the implants, kindof lke strogg
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

No, the corporations who will undoubtedly spring up and manufacture the implants will make like this. Greed. No company will sell something like life-saving robo limbs without a catch. You'll notice this in like Deus Ex, but where do you think that idea came from? It's in humanity to do something like make the body reject the implants so they can sell drugs and get rich.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Question: I never thought all that much about it, but since some of you talk about rejections, do cybernetic prostheses really get rejected that often? Normally it happen because your body rejects a foreign tissue, so an organic replacement; do artificial limbs trigger a similar reactions too, and why?

I guess it would depend on the implant.
Showing 1-13 of 13