ForumsThe Taverna random txt and then friendship?

18 3677
bobber24LIO
bobber24LIO
81 posts
Nomad

ok so my friend txted a random number hoping they would txt back (which they did) but then they kept talking and now there friends(friends with strangers)(both the same age) but i wanted 2 know if u would ever keep talking to someone who randomly texted u

• 18 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

but i wanted 2 know if u would ever keep talking to someone who randomly texted u

Probably, although my first response might be, "How did you get my number?"
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Probably, although my first response might be, "How did you get my number?"

If they don't know who you are, it's safe to assume that they just typed in a random number.

I'd probably keep talking to them if they kept talking to me. Anyone who goes out of their way to have a conversation with me is generally worth my time.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

that sounds fun. id be really happy if someone would text me and id find out he is nice. id probably check on this before id meet him though.

one time i got a message in english (no one texts in english here) that said: "we have to talk". i called back out of curiosity and a woman answered me in arabic. i got scared an hung up XP

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Probably not, but this reminds me of the time, back in 7th grade, me and my friend called a radio station, and we started talking with the DJ. We talked for a while, became "friends" of sorts, and have been talking to him every once in a while for the last 4 years.

RainbowGoGangster3
RainbowGoGangster3
529 posts
Nomad

hahaha i did, we where talking about a concert she was going to tomorrow
then when i got bored i said "listen im not shelly"
she replied "ohh shelly wow soo funny"
i said " dude im not shelly i was just bored so i went along with it"
she didnt text back hahaha!

Likuris
Likuris
65 posts
Nomad

Random txt messages can be funny sometimes...
If you get message from unknown number that says "It was great night yesterday, I can't forget you" - you may answer "and I can't recall you"

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

One of my friends did that. She was texting a guy for some time and they eventually met. When she told me I said "Are you nuts?". I don't think that's really safe.

bobber24LIO
bobber24LIO
81 posts
Nomad

i think the only reason my friend keeps txting her or him is cuz hes bored but i know he doesnt want to meet him or her

acmed
acmed
3,517 posts
Nomad

Some girl accidentally called me, she had the wrong number. My name slipped out, so I hung up. Then I receive 20 texts the next morning asking, "Hey! How old are you?", "Where do you live?". This went on for a week.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I usually ignore texts from people I don't know.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Just going to put this out there...

Why is meeting some random person on the internet considered so dangerous as compared to just meeting them in person? Both cases you do not know the person or what they are like, except the internet has the added safety of getting to know that person first before you might even ever decide to meet. Sure you can't see them and they might be lying about who they are, but people do that in person too. And in person, you're already with the person you're afraid to meet with on the internet.

So really, why not talk to them if what they say is interesting? Why do we think it's so different than just normally meeting people? The whole "safe" thing is a bogus myth, it's the same danger as meeting some random person face to face AT LEAST.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

I don't receive texts because nobody knows my phone number outside of my immediate family.

It'd take me 10 minutes to text-back 'You have the wrong number'.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I remember for a week I kept getting a call at 2:24 and I never answered it, ten one day I answered it and the person asked for someperson and when I said I didn't know them they never called agian.
Another time I got a number off of a random message and started texting the person for fun.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

they realize pretty quickly by my response that it isnt who theyre looking for.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

Just going to put this out there...

Why is meeting some random person on the internet considered so dangerous as compared to just meeting them in person? Both cases you do not know the person or what they are like, except the internet has the added safety of getting to know that person first before you might even ever decide to meet. Sure you can't see them and they might be lying about who they are, but people do that in person too. And in person, you're already with the person you're afraid to meet with on the internet.

So really, why not talk to them if what they say is interesting? Why do we think it's so different than just normally meeting people? The whole "safe" thing is a bogus myth, it's the same danger as meeting some random person face to face AT LEAST.

idk... maybe because in person they cant lie too much about their gender, age and sometimes their race. and if you bump into someone in person both of you didnt plan it. on the internet that person planns to meet you and pays his whole attention towards meeting you. if he decides to do something bad he decides it on the internet and can carefully plann it.

im not defending the myth so.... im actually agreeing with... just trying to think about why it might be true
Showing 1-15 of 18