ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 146040
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Who else got permabanned from the vets?

Depends on who you consider a vet and who you don't, but there are several that managed to get hit by Cormyn's banhammer over the last year.

And well, if no one can be bothered making proper threads, no wonder the quality is decreasing.
But instead, people should at least start upping their own posts, then perhaps that would help in general.
After all, who wants to be the one posting one liners, when everyone else is posting essays?
Besides, it is good practice to be able to communicate your points straight forward, back them up with at least an explanation to your opinion and reasoning in general.
Posting good threads is practice in formulating a problem in a way that will make proper explanations easier. Usually through how and why questions.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Did you see his post about why adblocking is bad?

Yeah. I lol'd heavily, most of the time when reading it.

Depends on who you consider a vet and who you don't, but there are several that managed to get hit by Cormyn's banhammer over the last year.

Well, I think that Vets stand for guys that were here since long time ago 2009 or back. And were quite known around the site while it was on its Glory Days.

And well, if no one can be bothered making proper threads, no wonder the quality is decreasing.
But instead, people should at least start upping their own posts, then perhaps that would help in general.
After all, who wants to be the one posting one liners, when everyone else is posting essays?
Besides, it is good practice to be able to communicate your points straight forward, back them up with at least an explanation to your opinion and reasoning in general.

Yeah. Writing like a pro would help a lot. It's usually boring when people post one liners on a thread you like. Usually, you can't make a point of their opinion, and the thread dies. Also, we hadn't talked about grammar yet!

Posting good threads is practice in formulating a problem in a way that will make proper explanations easier. Usually through how and why questions.

That equals:

AG = Knowledge (K)

K = Job opportunities and more in real life (M) [<= Also known as "Money"]

Therefore: AG = Money!

You can (or at least could) learn things around here! Me, as a non-native english speaker, would learn a lot from quality posts...
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

It's a little funny with these threads. Anyone who have been here fore a year or two know they pop up ever so often. Then the vets go cry at the changes to the community, the regulars go comment like they are vets, and the newbies try to sound like they know what they are talking about.
Adorable, but it gets a little boring over time.
Same goes for "Why did the forums die?" threads... And the "hen or the egg" and so forth. In that respect, the forums haven't changed at all.

Now I'm just doubting myself...haha am I a vet?

Who else got permabanned from the vets?

People you won't know. I've forgotten some, but the two that pop to mind are Fst and ShintetsuWA(Can I mention his name or is it still Taboo?).
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Not to mention that being able to communicate in writing and on the web is going to be real competences when you get a job in, well, pretty much anything.
Which makes me a little sad when so many shows that have grown up in a generation where the rest of the word think that generation is tech savvy, but it isn't. The are able to get some attention by writing some short thing about themselves, and think that will go everywhere. Rather, they should never have left twitter and facebook.

Yeah. Writing like a pro would help a lot. It's usually boring when people post one liners on a thread you like. Usually, you can't make a point of their opinion, and the thread dies. Also, we hadn't talked about grammar yet!

1. Get a mod interested.
2. Mod will clean up with CDO/OCD tendencies to make sure thread survives.
3. ???
4. Thread dies due to lack of activity, but at least it doesn't get locked...

And English grammar is evil and should go die in a horrible fire. Preferably taking comma rules with it.
But yes, basic spelling and grammar is rather important everywhere on the internet, because you communicate with others through writing only. If you write sloppily, people, unless they are like you, will consider you sloppy and possibly mentally challenged as well.
If you have a few mistakes once in a while, it is casual; if you are a grammar nazi, you are going to look posh and snotty.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

it is casual; if you are a grammar nazi, you are going to look posh and snotty.

Awww....that utterly sucks!

Rather, they should never have left twitter and facebook.

Our thoughts are more or less getting more and more compartmentalized.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

basic spelling and grammar is rather important everywhere on the internet, because you communicate with others through writing only.

Yeah, totally. At least BASIC grammar is a requirement these days. Or else you can get flamed at (when on other sites).

Fst

Fst6?

If you write sloppily, people, unless they are like you, will consider you sloppy and possibly mentally challenged as well.

Not to mention &quotrobably underage"

If you have a few mistakes once in a while, it is casual; if you are a grammar nazi, you are going to look posh and snotty.

Grammar Nazis?! No! That's exaggerated. An at least understandable grammar is required but perfect writing is too much!

Down to the Grammar nazis.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I don't believe the site was better before, rather, the users are different.

When you're new, it's all -woaaah look at thaaaaat! So interesstiiinnggggg..., let's talk moaaarrrrr-, but repeated exposure makes it become obvious; boring.

What's really fun is seeing users go crazy (Starscream, -420, etc.).

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

What's really fun is seeing users go crazy (Starscream, -420, etc.).

Don't see many of them these days....
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Don't see many of them these days....

Don't see any of them*
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

I can come up with good topics but I Dont really see good points. When I talked about the bible they just say the bad things about it and don't really comment what I first said. Some do talk about what I said but most just try to make me look bad.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

When I talked about the bible they just say the bad things about it and don't really comment what I first said.

The interwebz has a lot of atheists on it, AG is not spared. You can go to any corner of the internet and even mention the bible, a lot of people will start arguing.
And people don't 'try to make you look bad', it's called discussion, they are discussing and they are stating that what you have said does not match their agenda and beliefs etc.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Don't see any of them*

I can come up with good topics but I Dont really see good points. When I talked about the bible they just say the bad things about it and don't really comment what I first said. Some do talk about what I said but most just try to make me look bad.

Sound like World Events issues. AG has an extremely loud atheist community that likes to voice their dislike towards everything religion at any point in time, not matter what the overall topic might be.
Same reason why I stopped going to that section.
This, however, hasn't changed much since... 2009, I think. Perhaps half way through 2009 it stopped being fun to discuss such matters in that section, simply because of the general "bad" behaviour of any or all of the sides of the discussion. Instead of healthy discussion, it tends to go like this:
"You are wrong because you believe in an imaginary friend in the sky."
"Burn in hell, Atheist scum!"
"This proves my point of how all Christians are morons that should stop breeding!"
And then it goes downwards from there.
And it makes me a sad panda, because before then, it was actually enjoyable to debate pretty much everything, and get some real discussion out of this, sans the few more... extremist users.

What's really fun is seeing users go crazy

I don't think 420 can be considered a user going crazy as much as someone with way too much time on their hands...
These days, users just go crazy at a mod instead, usually when told they can do something or that the mod is not on their side exclusively.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

This, however, hasn't changed much since... 2009, I think

Are you sure Cenery? I was pretty sure this was a issue since 2008, atheists are all over the place, just randomly popping out when they sense the word 'bible'

I don't think 420 can be considered a user going crazy as much as someone with way too much time on their hands...

No one has THAT much free time, it's impossible...
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

When I talked about the bible they just say the bad things about it and don't really comment what I first said. Some do talk about what I said but most just try to make me look bad.

AG has an extremely loud atheist community that likes to voice their dislike towards everything religion at any point in time, not matter what the overall topic might be.

I would like to point out that it was a theist that brought the topic of religion into a place where it was not before mentioned...As for being extremely loud in voicing dislikes, I only do this if someone is making a claim about a religion or using it as a reason for something.

Anyways, in my time here it seems pretty much the same. The Tavern in my experience has always been filled with one time answer pointless off the top of your head threads and the WEPR has always had these debates about religion and the occasional government policy thread.
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

I heard from Knight he got banned due to spam.

I think I know it and it's not spam. But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say it.

Perma or temp? Idk.

If you go to the link that were his profile, you see it's 404 [error] which means he's banned.

--

I started my account this year, so I don't know how the Community were than.
Showing 16-30 of 1018