ForumsThe TavernStrange words

42 9017
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

So, post any strange word you know, explain what it means etc.

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words. I have no idea if it's just a ironic joke or not, but Wikipedia says it exists

• 42 Replies
murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Here's a strange word:

ANTIMACASSAR
A protective or decorative cloth over the back of a chair.

alovera1
alovera1
510 posts
Peasant

PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS
a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust.
it has 45 letters

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

I have a strange word! Here it is:
Strange - unusual, extraordinary, or curious; odd; queer
Source

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

Here's another:
Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft,
It allegedly was a suborganization of the Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft in pre-war Vienna, Austria, a shipping company for transporting passengers and cargo on the Danube.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I have no idea if it's just a ironic joke or not, but Wikipedia says it exists

If you read your link carefully, you will notice that the original name of this fear is only sesquipedaliophobia. It's still not the shortest name and also still sounds bizarre but it already describes everything necessary. The rest is just intended to make the word as long as possible, but won't be 'officially' used^^

Also, there's the word from Mary Poppins, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
dragonhunter422
dragonhunter422
130 posts
Nomad

how about Xanthophobia? - (Fear of the color yellow.)
Or Zither? - (a stringed, musical instrument)
Or maybe flocci­nauci­nihiliÂ&shyili­fication. -(nothing. seriously, it means nothing. Its latin. Bing it if you dont believe me)

Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words. I have no idea if it's just a ironic joke or not, but Wikipedia says it exists
Isnt Wikipedia not that good anyway
But here is my word absorptiometer
It means an instrument for measuring solubility of gases in liquids
Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

more words for you
ANTI­TRANSUB­STAN­TIA­TION­ALIST
one who doubts that consecrated bread and wine actually change into the body and blood of Christ.

HEPATICO­CHOLANGIO­CHOLECYST­ENTERO­STOMIES
a surgical creation of a connection between the gall bladder and a hepatic duct and between the intestine and the gall bladder.
And my last word
ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE
A Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Strain.
Here is the link for those words
[url=http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_longest.html]

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

If you read your link carefully...

I know, I read it after I posted, didn't want to double post.

ACETYLíSERYLíTY...

I would consider this spamming because no human being can actually pronounce more than 50 letters in a word, post only somewhat pronounceable words please
Sengokura
Sengokura
497 posts
Herald

Well sorry, i didnt know that
Yes i know but there was this other word that was on wikipedia( which isnt reliable), and it said it had 189,190 letters in it, which i think isnt possible for any word. Wikipedia said that it was not in the dictionary(probably since its soo long?. I

murasaki9
murasaki9
1,388 posts
Blacksmith

CLERIHEW
A form of whimsically biographical comic verse.

Castyy
Castyy
26 posts
Peasant

Anatidaephobia: is defined as a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a duck. The anatidaephobic individual fears that no matter where they are or what they are doing, a duck watches.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

How 'bout Zugzwang!

Yay for chess!

"A situation in which the obligation to make a move in one's turn is a serious, often decisive, disadvantage: "black is in zugzwang"."

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

zenith- the heighest/ greatest point of something.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

well all words are strange. take the word "word" for example. say it over and over in your mind. its so strange isnt it? if aliens came and saw the word "word" they would be all "wtf is this?" so strange
idk i have been thinking like this for some time now...
same thing with a snake, its so normal, yet so weird!
same with the pepsi logo. i know what it is the second i see it, but it s so weird, if you stair at it too long....

Showing 1-15 of 42