ForumsThe TavernWho here thinks cheerleading is really dangerous?

13 2794
jakehcatcher
jakehcatcher
49 posts
Nomad

cheer leading is the sport that isnt dangerous unlike the football players who are actually doing the hitting and not just cheering on the beating that goes on during the game.

• 13 Replies
Faunbard
Faunbard
650 posts
Nomad

it depends on how u say it, i mean... Sideline cheer is still dangerous, but not as much as football. Sure, people break bones in sideline cheer, but football you get concussions, broken bones, ect. Compettitive cheer.. Well i dont know. Footballs prolly more dangerous. However, i do remember haering somwhere its one of the most dangerous sports. But ive never watched competitive so i cant judge that.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,231 posts
Jester

i think its rather useless. *raises hand*

SoupCanX
SoupCanX
13 posts
Nomad

I guess cheer leading is only 'dangerous' because of some of the competitive things. Apparently those chicks can do so some REALLY high flips, and a hard landing sure wouldn't be pretty.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Are you all comparing football to cheerleading??? lol. It is very possible to break bones while cheering. If you watch what they do, if someone isn't in the right place or flips wrong it will get ugly. Could we have a cheerleader on AG come back me up here?

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Ummm. . . Maybe it would by wardrobe malfunctions?

AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

devsaupa: Yes, it can get ugly. But not very often. Competitive cheer practices are very extensive and a new member can spend months exercising alone on a mat before joining even the simplest formations. And my club used to do some really intense falling drills, so we'd know how to react if an accident happened - particularly we needed to know how to turn so that if we fall we don't break anything too important. (Not to say I didn't break my right leg once, and twisted an ankle several times.)

However, I only did competitive cheering during high school, so we never got into the most complex formations. I can't speak about the dangers in detail, as I've never taken part in the most intense drills.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

@AgathaB
I was actually hung up on the fact they are comparing cheerleading to football. I didn't mean it happened all the time. I have seen it a couple of times though. One of my best friends got hurt and was in a cast for a while.

SoupCanX
SoupCanX
13 posts
Nomad

I don't think anyone here is really comparing Cheerleading to Football, as Football is clearly more dangerous.

I believe one NFL player once had a head concussion so bad, he lost most of his memory. That includes family, his education, basic life skills, and more. That sounds a lot worse than a broken leg or twisted ankle.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Cheerleading is actually more dangerous than football, as far as numbers go.
Here are two articles which support this.
Cheerleading and football are both dangerous. That fact cannot be argued, as there are thousands of catastrophic injuries every year coming from both of these sports. By catastrophic injuries, I don't just mean broken arms or sprained ankles, I mean paralyzation and death.
I think that the numbers between football and cheerleading are slightly skewed, as football at the high school and middle school levels has numerous safety measures backed by law protecting the players like helmets, shoulderpads, etc., whereas for cheerleading the only safety measure is a mat on the ground. Cheerleading would cause fewer catastrophic injuries if people would recognize that, yes, cheerleading does cause catastrophic injuries, and create safety guidelines accordingly.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

I don't think anyone here is really comparing Cheerleading to Football, as Football is clearly more dangerous.

That whole quote is literally a comparison between the two. Actually your whole post was. -_-
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

My sister had a friend who blew out her knees when she landed on a mat badly, though I've also gotten a concussion playing football.

You can't really compare the two, as they are both dangerous sports in their own respects.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Cheerleading is generally less dangerous if you have more practice and coordination; but no matter how good you are at football, it's still incredibly dangerous. Every football player gets injured at least once. You can't say the same for cheerleaders.

And don't even get me started on rugby.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

cheerleading is more fun to watch. therefore it is more dangerous when you are driving.

Showing 1-13 of 13