ForumsWEPR[necro]Do you have any questions to ask a Chinese?

79 28141
Jiangyao
Jiangyao
15 posts
Nomad

I will do my best to answer.

• 79 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Yes, that fits in with what I heard/read. Although I am saddened by the apparent lack of creativity, I can understand the emphasis in a culture such as this one. Also, this:

I was pretty shocked as well during their history lesson when they recited anecdotes. That's the primary level, I had yet to see their high schools' history lessons though from what I hear, it isn't much better.

Which might be better than either of the extremes, obviously. Perhaps that's something the Chinese should strive for, although it seems difficult to change, what with the point about poverty mentioned earlier.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!~

I have always been amazed by how deep the culture lingers in emigrated Chinese; it never seemed to me as though other cultures cling onto their traditions as strongly.

Pretty amazed now I think about it. It's a lot to do with the parents too, who aren't as lax as (stereotype ahead!) Western parents in general. When a kid grows up, naturally he does apply such parenting skills on his too I guess.

Oh, just to add. At that time my parents also forced me into at least three separate tuition lessons outside of school per week, and five competitive swimming sessions a week for two hours at a time. Nearly a third of us have been forced into learning one instrument or another too. All in a bid to improve ourselves. Hardcore to say the least!

(Probably Mars. I'd be really happy on Mars.)

Won't you get lonely there?
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

Pretty amazed now I think about it. It's a lot to do with the parents too, who aren't as lax as (stereotype ahead!) Western parents in general. When a kid grows up, naturally he does apply such parenting skills on his too I guess.

It's a cycle that's not easily broken. Especially since most immigrants (regardless of what culture they come from) tend to live surrounded by other immigrants from their area and thus are really not as exposed to whatever culture they find themselves in as they might be if they lived directly surrounded by the natives.

Oh, just to add. At that time my parents also forced me into at least three separate tuition lessons outside of school per week, and five competitive swimming sessions a week for two hours at a time. Nearly a third of us have been forced into learning one instrument or another too. All in a bid to improve ourselves. Hardcore to say the least!

Hardcore, yes. But then, not very different from my experience, although I pushed most of my extracurricular activity on myself. During the first four years of schooling alone, I had music school, German and Italian, plus an independent choir and volleyball training. Today, I can't stand not having anything to do, it drives me insane.

Won't you get lonely there?

As long as they install Internet on Mars, I'll be fine. I don't really socialize much as it is. Practically the only person I'd want to take with me is my brother.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Hardcore, yes. But then, not very different from my experience, although I pushed most of my extracurricular activity on myself. During the first four years of schooling alone, I had music school, German and Italian, plus an independent choir and volleyball training. Today, I can't stand not having anything to do, it drives me insane.

That's good Pushing oneself makes living worthwhile.

As long as they install Internet on Mars, I'll be fine. I don't really socialize much as it is. Practically the only person I'd want to take with me is my brother.

Hmpph. Bad connec-......
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

NI HAO
I heared of this canton fare what is that?
More over what kind of education intitutes you have there for foreign students?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I heared of this canton fare what is that?

Do you mean Cantonese food?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

is it safe to buy patents for china's industry? or is it just a waste of money and time.

Jiangyao
Jiangyao
15 posts
Nomad

[quote]So you guys eat pandas, right? I thought I heard that you do..

I have never heard that someone eats pandas. I can't guarantee. Some of Chinese eat everything. They eat monkey brains, flies, maggots, human placentas, even ****. But they are very very minority.

Jiangyao
Jiangyao
15 posts
Nomad

[i]What happens to a child if he is born to a family that already has a child?[/i]

He will grow up just like other children. But his parents wii be punished. In most cases they will be fined.

And if the child is not born, his mother will be force to abortion.
Jiangyao
Jiangyao
15 posts
Nomad

First of all, are you living in China? If so, than I have a whole load of other questions for you.

Yes, I am living in Beijing. Just ask and I will do my best to answer.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

tl;dr

Who is your favorite NBA player?

Jiangyao
Jiangyao
15 posts
Nomad

In what region of China is it best to live in if you are a:
A) Peasant
B) Person with average income
C) Person with substantially high income ?

In fact, after "the Great Cultural Revolution" launched in 1966 which lasted 10 years, the regions in China were about to die.
The government wanted people to believe Marxism. But they failed. Of course, this is my opion.

After these years, regions in China has begun to recover.
Buddhism is China's first religion with the most believers.

People's beliefs has nothing to do with their wealth. But poor people more likely believe region.
Jiangyao
Jiangyao
15 posts
Nomad

How do you feel about all that easily cured cancer that you get from the factory pollution around? Has China even tried stopping or controlling it?

When I was a kid the sky was blue and the river was clean. There was a large river in the city that I lived in. My friens an I often went swimming there. A few years later, factories was built and they started to pollute the river. Someone got skin disease after swimming in the river. And digging sand ships started their work, which dug so many deep holes in the river. Swimmer kept being drowned. At the same time air pollution also took place. Then government began to control, the situation began to getting better.
AgathaB
AgathaB
154 posts
Nomad

In fact, after "the Great Cultural Revolution" launched in 1966 which lasted 10 years, the regions in China were about to die.
The government wanted people to believe Marxism. But they failed. Of course, this is my opion.

After these years, regions in China has begun to recover.
Buddhism is China's first religion with the most believers.

People's beliefs has nothing to do with their wealth. But poor people more likely believe region.

Region: a place where people live.

Religion: a belief and cultural system based on faith and the spiritual.

Just clarifying that up for you, Jiangyao, because you misunderstood the original question.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

What do you personally think of traditional medicine? And by that I mean that kind of medicine where you basically attribute any positive effect to any kind of thing, like that chinese woman I saw in a reportage about spiders, who uses birdspiders (she breeds her own, but also regularly goes out and hunts wild ones -.-), drowns them in water tanks and give her patient cups of that water. Supposedly to heal whatever trouble. Or, I don't know, does chinese medicine still pulverise fossils because they think they're dragon bones?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

What do you personally think of traditional medicine? And by that I mean that kind of medicine where you basically attribute any positive effect to any kind of thing, like that chinese woman I saw in a reportage about spiders, who uses birdspiders (she breeds her own, but also regularly goes out and hunts wild ones -.-), drowns them in water tanks and give her patient cups of that water. Supposedly to heal whatever trouble. Or, I don't know, does chinese medicine still pulverise fossils because they think they're dragon bones?

Nah, the urban dwellers and much of the rural folk use Western medicine now, though Chinese medicine is still used a lot by the older folk and those who resort to home cures.

I recall I did a project on traditional medicine before; traditional medicines do help (placebo effect?) better than Western cures, and I believe acupuncture is becoming more widespread in the West.

As for spiders and that weird old lady, I believe that would be exotic even by Chinese medicine standards.
Showing 16-30 of 79