ForumsThe TavernRobots Becoming More Intelligent Than Us

27 3886
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

My question is, what do you think would happen if robots became more intelligent than us? Please say why you think that would happen. (BTW They gained this intellegence from the bottom up approach and nothing was preprogramed into them other than the technology to gain and use intellegence with no help from a human)

• 27 Replies
aamer13
aamer13
2,569 posts
Nomad

setience"
did u misspell science? did u misspell sentance or did u really mean sntience
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Here you go! I'm pretty sure that was what he meant.

aamer13
aamer13
2,569 posts
Nomad

Here you go! I'm pretty sure that was what he meant.

thxs really clears what this means
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I, Robot. If they make robots with a body, arms, legs, etc. then I predict something like that happening. Probably not the whole apocalypse type thing, but with us using them as slaves and such.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

If they became smart enough to take over jobs, people would kill them. Just saying.

But why would they want to take over jobs? To helps us? Why wou;ld they do that? Do you think they would develop feelings and feel pity on us? If they were smarter than us, I would think that even if they felt pity for us, they would have self preservation kick in and they would relize that trying to help us is not the way to go.

They would take over the world first, of course, and control us with electric collars. They would use us as slaves and cheap entertainment.

But why do you assume that they would need entertainment? If they were programed from the bottom up approach so they could learn new things, I don't think they would have feelings so they would only think of thei needs, not wants since they have none.

I, Robot. If they make robots with a body, arms, legs, etc. then I predict something like that happening. Probably not the whole apocalypse type thing, but with us using them as slaves and such.

I think that that could happen as long as they get their full needs and are not abused by us since they have no wants.
alovera1
alovera1
510 posts
Peasant

Robots are a computer there could be a apoclypse cause if they got a virus they would go crazy so thats why I hate robots.
We are pretty much as intelligent as robots cause the human brain is made to hold thousands of years worth of information and if you think about you actually don't forget anything you just have to learn how to access those faint memorys that you thought you forgot which you don't forget anything.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

We are pretty much as intelligent as robots cause the human brain is made to hold thousands of years worth of information and if you think about you actually don't forget anything you just have to learn how to access those faint memorys that you thought you forgot which you don't forget anything.

We are way more intelligent than robots, you are thinking of memory, not intelligence.
I don't think that is true though cause just a month ago I learned all about black holes and when my friend was asking me about them today, I couldn't even recall the types of black holes for my life.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Robots are a computer there could be a apoclypse cause if they got a virus they would go crazy so thats why I hate robots.

If, by any unrealistic chance, all robots on earth would get a virus, first, there aren't enough around right now to pose a threat, second, they surely aren't armed properly to even kill anyone, third, what makes you think that a virus will specifically imbue them with the goal to kill all humans or destroy everything? A virus would most likely just disable them.

We do forget quite a lot. Surely we store more than we actually use, but if we wouldn't forget anything, that would pose a huge problem. Our brain has to be able to delete unimportant information in order to tell the difference between what is useful/important or not.
cornholiobungholio
cornholiobungholio
122 posts
Nomad

...Robots know nothing robots come from computers<(I guess) and computers know nothing and the internet knows nothing humans make websites and everything else on computers but if robots became more intelligent than us...humans would rebel if they didn't like it. It's human nature to kill something they don't like. :P

SwordAndShield
SwordAndShield
567 posts
Nomad

I would say that, since this has already occurred, there would be a reality that is almost identical to the reality that we have now.

gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Well basically we are more intelligent than robots because apparently the brain is, like, approximately 5-10x more powerful than the world's most powerful supercomputer or something like that...

But if robots were to become more intelligent than us (which they won't because they are inorganic and therefore there is an inability for them to evolve, because in order for that to happen there has to be natural selection which can't take place because robots are assembled on the assembly line.) then they could either develop a personality similar to ours or a highly intelligent unfeeling one. Most likely without feelings, unless we programmed them to feel feelings which is highly unlikely because the algorithms are too complex and we don't even fully understand the neurology behind the emotional subconscious of the brain. But if they were able to process their own thoughts (which is difficult because simply achieving automation was a pain in the arse) then they could possibly save the world, help human beings/animals/plants out in some unfathomable way, or they could take over which could lead to imprisonment, slavery or eradication of the human race. Or if the ability to think overwhelms them, then they could go into a state of artificial insanity and go crazy. Or the human race could feel threatened or actually be threatened and take up arms. Then the army or common folk or both could destroy them or be killed in the process. The hypothesisation of the many, many different possibilities of outcomes, would make it highly difficult to predict what would happen. Hopefully this would stop engineers either inventing thinking robots or stop them from being allowed to. If not, then god only knows what'll become of the entirety of the human race; for better or for worse? Who knows?...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I would say that, since this has already occurred, there would be a reality that is almost identical to the reality that we have now.

Let me guess.. Matrix fan?

(which they won't because they are inorganic and therefore there is an inability for them to evolve, because in order for that to happen there has to be natural selection which can't take place because robots are assembled on the assembly line.)

Well, you'd need a software able to change and adapt it's own hardware. Some robot are already able of rudimentary learning processes today. I wouldn't call it selection because the principles are different (organic/reproducing <-> inorganic/built), but it's a start

The rest of your post basically says it... robots going wild won't happen unless we specifically program them to that purpose. Robots are electronics; you need the correct input, a robot apocalypse won't happen 'by chance'. And unless there's a weird coincidencal bug somewhere, I don't think they can go 'crazy' and attack humans specifically in the goal to take over world domination. Like I already said, any bug or virus or the like will msot probaly just disable them.

The biggest threat I see are malevolent viruses programmed by humans, and those can't directly kill people, unless at some point humanity sinks as low as to put people's brain online/wireless or whatever, so that the virus can directly access and manipulate the enrvous system.
Showing 16-27 of 27