ForumsWEPROccupy Wall Street

114 27897
ZipperedVenus42
ZipperedVenus42
185 posts
Nomad

It is surprising to me that there us no thread for this yet (at least not one that I have found) so I decided to make one here. The main purpose of this thread should be to discuss opinions, motives, effects, ethicality, etc. on the Occupy Wall Street movement, along with other Occupy movements.

----------------------------

Now for my personal opinion. I am all for the motive, but the means (such as the shutdown of bridges, causing reduction of transportation) are questionable.

I think that shutting down bridges is not an ethical way to go about a protest. However, being the first major global protest with this kind of purpose, this might have been the only option for OWS to gain notoriety.

Since I have been researching heavily into this, I am willing to answer any questions about the means and motive of the protests, along with explaining political terminology.

Here are a variety of links to discuss:

http://bicyclebarricade.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/open-letter-to-chancellor-linda-p-b-katehi/

http://www.progressive.org/occupy_wall_st_broadan_approach.html

http://occupywallst.org/

------------------------------

Also, remember to keep the material on this forum non-flammatory. Any political ideas are allowed, even including Marxism, neoliberalism, etc..

• 114 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

The costs of other things related to the protests are quite high. The cleanup, repairs, and police for LA's camps alone may cost over $1M.

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Never knew Michael Myers was a hippie. Eh, Just saying.

Just because a person decides to exercise their right to protest the way the government works does not make them a hippie.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The costs of other things related to the protests are quite high. The cleanup, repairs, and police for LA's camps alone may cost over $1M.

I find the claims of these messes at the protests highly suspect. But even if these claims are true, are we really more concerned of a messy location over the exercise of the first amendment rights?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Should there be a rule that if you protest in public, you need to clean it up or pay fines or something? I mean there's a lot of litter, some people defecate on walkways, property damage, etc. You wouldn't do those things to your own stuff, but since taxes pay for it, that makes it ok?

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

While I support the basic theory behind OWS, I think that a ton of them should be fined for public indecency and littering and other crimes related to making a huge mess.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Should there be a rule that if you protest in public, you need to clean it up or pay fines or something? I mean there's a lot of litter, some people defecate on walkways, property damage, etc. You wouldn't do those things to your own stuff, but since taxes pay for it, that makes it ok?

Care to provide me with a video of this any of this mess? Like I said I'm highly suspect of these claims. Non of the videos I've seen thus far show such a problem.

Yet again I ask is this really what should be focused on over the exercise of rights?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I don't know about the protesters but the police horses sure seem to be deficating on wallstreet.

Cleaning up the **** on Wall Street

I find it interesting the cop made him stop cleaning.

CabzIndustries
CabzIndustries
35 posts
Nomad

I live in Traverse city Michigan and people are protesting here. The sad part of it is that they're all protesting different things so, no one really knows what occupy wall street is about.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

Yet again I ask is this really what should be focused on over the exercise of rights?

That seems to be the secondary issue most people have, the first is this one.

no one really knows what occupy wall street is about.

More than anything, its about rich vs poor.
Showing 106-114 of 114