ForumsThe TavernSanta is an Anagram for Satan

31 5374
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

So now I've gotten your attention, my question for you all is, how do you usually spend Christmas? Will this year's be any different? What about people who aren't Christian (This greedy atheist still does, if only for family gathering and the presents).

• 31 Replies
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I've never celebrated it, to busy celebrating hanukkah.

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I do a couple of different things. We have always put up a tree, and when I was younger we would do the whole "cookies and milk" business. I usually watch Christmas movies (yes, even "The Grinch" and little kiddie cartoons because it reminds me of the good times). We usually have a christmas breakfast, where a couple of family members come over on christmas day after we have opened our presents. Then my parents will make the kids who can play an instrument play it :I Every year my grandpa also has a family christmas party with a bunch of games and contests and stuff.
But this year for Christmas, It'll be different. Things haven't been the same at the christmas parties since my grandma died. This year, my mom just told me "ok. you gotta pick out something, because I don't want to have to try to 'surprise' you." And I'm fine with that. So this year, I'm just hoping to get a trip to the mall for Christmas =D

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I do a couple of different things. We have always put up a tree, and when I was younger we would do the whole "cookies and milk" business.

Wow. Pity I don't have a chimney. The most I did was to actually post letters of what I wanted in my letterbox which my dad will sneakily open to read.

I'm just hoping to get a trip to the mall for Christmas =D

Ah, that's a....pity.
Yodadude53
Yodadude53
1,495 posts
Nomad

I'm an atheist, so I celebrate because of the holiday spirit and presents. I basically eat a big breakfast, then open presents and chill with my family.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

But this year for Christmas, It'll be different. Things haven't been the same at the christmas parties since my grandma died. This year, my mom just told me "ok. you gotta pick out something, because I don't want to have to try to 'surprise' you." And I'm fine with that. So this year, I'm just hoping to get a trip to the mall for Christmas =D

Thaboss recommends listening to Christmas Lights by Coldplay. It's free on iTunes. It would apply very well to this situation. It's so sad... (hehe advertising...)
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

What about people who aren't Christian

Well, I'm an atheist and I'll be celebrating Christmas with my family. Though, here in Sweden we call it "Jul", sort of like the old pagan Yule festival Christmas replaced. The name itself does not imply that it is a religious holiday, and nothing about the actual celebration really does either (at least for most of the people I know), so, at least for most people around here, it's more of a tradition than something religious. Works just as well though.
Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

I pretty much spend my Christmas as if it's just a normal day.

DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

Sometimes someone will invite me over to their place, but most years I just use it as a day off.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

I receive an exorbitant amount of expensive gifts from my rich parents through no merits of my own, play with them for a week, then toss them aside after New Year's and start my list for next year.

Turkey or Ham guys? We do Ham.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Turkey or Ham guys? We do Ham.

I remember one year I ate a kilogram of ham over two days by myself. I didn't get nitrate poisoning somehow.

So, ham.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Ham? Psh. My family cooks the whole pig, and serves it. Yum.

RUssian153
RUssian153
32 posts
Nomad

Dang, THis title is catchy.

Anyways, I spend it in church too!

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Ham? Psh. My family cooks the whole pig, and serves it. Yum.

That's a roast suckling pig, not a ham......
aethershadow
aethershadow
7 posts
Nomad

I just spend my christmas with my whole family, just having fun.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Well, I'm an atheist and I'll be celebrating Christmas with my family. Though, here in Sweden we call it "Jul", sort of like the old pagan Yule festival Christmas replaced. The name itself does not imply that it is a religious holiday, and nothing about the actual celebration really does either (at least for most of the people I know), so, at least for most people around here, it's more of a tradition than something religious. Works just as well though.

This, pretty much.
Though most of the singing while walking round the tree is religious songs here about the birth of Christ or about celebrating Christmas. What else... Usually a programme is sent from the church of the year for the people too busy or lazy to go to church themselves, often right before the "Disney Christmas show" that has been running for, well, as long as I can remember. It's the same each year besides the introduction of the few new Disney movies at the end, but we all sit and watch it anyway.
Usually we decorate the tree either the day before, or more often, the morning of Christmas eve while watching the huge amounts of Christmas themed children programmes. In the mean time my parents are cooking the duck and preparing the food. We clean up the last mess, all that, get dressed in some nice clothes even if it is just us, and around 6pm we will start eating...
Duck and risalamande is usually on the menu, though I can't remember what side of my family it comes from. Brunede kartofler (caramelised potatoes), boiled, gel filled apples and regular potatoes go with the duck.

And of course there is the privilege of opening presents on Christmas Eve, which is done after eating and sitting around for a while, and walking round the tree (and of last year, making sure the cat doesn't climb the tree). And then there is cookies and candy and by then we are all exhausted and go to bed.
Showing 16-30 of 31