ForumsThe TavernCaveman Diet

24 4035
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I got put on a cavemen diet, which means, no carbs (rice, potatoes, bread, cereal, noodles) for at least three months. I eat 3 pounds of meat a day, and at least a pound of vegetables. Ice water or black coffee only, no sugar, as beverages. Not allowed fruits, or sugary stuff. Apparently it's so my body starts using my fat as an energy source.

Your thoughts?

• 24 Replies
BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

I think I couldn't stand it. Personally, I'm a carnivore, I eat a lot of fruit, but I don't tell anyone that. Veggies? Wouldn't be caught dead eating them. Grains and Dairy? Not the worst, but I got a fear of milk ever since I was seven. I think I could handle a day of the caveman diet with killing myself.

Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

This would help to bulk up because meats have an abundance of protein. And, protein also helps the metabolism and can keep you from getting hungry. If you eat broccoli, then you should have pretty much all of the nutrients you need because broccoli is a super veggi, and I was a vegetarian for 3 years so I would know. I hate broccoli though...

greg_greg
greg_greg
440 posts
Peasant

CARBS MEAN ENERGY... your body takes complex carbohydrates, converts them into energy through a series of biological phases, ending in the digestion of simple nutrients.

to lose weight/ use fat:
work out..
eat every 2-3 hours..
get 8-10 hours of sleep..
and most importantly..
EAT.

if you dont eat, your body will actually store fat, because it will have to make up for the fact that the energy wasted isnt being replenished, and therefore, you dont lose fat, you lose muscle.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

if you dont eat, your body will actually store fat, because it will have to make up for the fact that the energy wasted isnt being replenished, and therefore, you dont lose fat, you lose muscle.

Nope, the body converts your excess fats before it converts your muscle.

get 8-10 hours of sleep..

10 is excessive.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Nope, the body converts your excess fats before it converts your muscle.

Your body will start to ration the amount of fat it uses. It will slow your metabolism. This is bad because when you do eat it will natrually be a little more because you want to make up for the food you missed. You can see where this would be a problem. Slow metabolism + extra food = weight gain. I think that was what he trying to get at.

10 is excessive.

True. A good exercise is lifting weights. You burn fat even in your sleep when you lift weights.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Mhmmm, what you guys say so makes sense, but me dropping ten pounds in a week makes sense too...

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Mhmmm, what you guys say so makes sense, but me dropping ten pounds in a week makes sense too...

Well you did say you've been exercising and that you weren't cutting down on eating. Just eating certain foods. So you're basicly following the plan to be stronger, and skinnier. This diet is fine if thats all you wanted. Though if you wanted to be healthy too, then your diet would need to change.
KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

It doesn't sound to good for you...

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

do you know that cavemen had not a fridge or something else to store their food? they hunted animals for meat (sport, wtf!) and their cells stored the fat because they did not know when the next meal would come. that is the reason why we get fat, it gets so fast stored in our cells.

Showing 16-24 of 24