ForumsThe TavernEverything Science.

31 7005
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Everything science! Discuss science here!

Now first: I hope that Curiosity will reach mars on a safe journey, and successfully land. I also hope we learn a lot about mars from the crater.

What do you think will Curiosity find? (will it find out that this thread gets locked by Cenere?)

I think Curiosity will find a lot of information about Mars past. (on a side note, I hope we find evidence of microbial life!)

• 31 Replies
kingofkings1
kingofkings1
21 posts
Nomad

BREAKING NEWS" "SCIENCE IS FUN" " THAT IS ALL"

Evilfishy111
Evilfishy111
1,386 posts
Shepherd

who knows about the goldilocks zone?

DataFrogman
DataFrogman
8 posts
Nomad

it is almost statistically impossible (almost) that there is sentient/sapient life somewhere inside the universe other than us

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Future post meets past post. Has it reached there yet?

It's been half a year. Let's put this time capsule back in the ground.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Wait!

[quote=Wikipedia]Currently in transit to Mars, it was launched November 26, 2011, at 10:02 EST[1][3] and is scheduled to land on Mars at Gale Crater, near Mount Sharp,[13][14][15] on August 6, 2012.[/quote]

MetalHeart
MetalHeart
226 posts
Nomad

Every thing around us doing chemical reactions on each other
That's science I've learned in school

Daizidawizard9000
Daizidawizard9000
1,609 posts
Nomad

Did you know that an atom (according to research) can last 10 billion trillion trillion years?

beckitten27
beckitten27
336 posts
Peasant

cool!

Armpit
Armpit
784 posts
Nomad

Did you know that an atom (according to research) can last 10 billion trillion trillion years?

Then what? It just goes away? That's not possible, going by the generally accepted law that matter cannot be created or destroyed.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

"Atom" is too vague especially in matters of longevity. It all depends on the stability of the atom, see radioactive decay and the decay chain.

Do you remember where you heard about the research stating the 10 billion trillion trillion y longevity?

Then what? It just goes away? That's not possible, going by the generally accepted law that matter cannot be created or destroyed.

It doesn't just go away, but is degraded, either by giving away energy or matter or both (falling apart, if you want).
MetalHeart
MetalHeart
226 posts
Nomad

He's right absolutely right

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, scientists don't make up names for numbers.

A) "Billion trillion trillion" Isn't a number.
B) They would probably express whatever number you're talking about in scientific notation.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

A) "Billion trillion trillion" Isn't a number.
B) They would probably express whatever number you're talking about in scientific notation.

I've heard very large numbered stated this way for a layman to better understand. Another method I've seen used is to use the notation then describe it as 1 with X number of zeros behind it.
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,304 posts
Nomad

[quote]A) "Billion trillion trillion" Isn't a number.
I've heard very large numbered stated this way for a layman to better understand. Another method I've seen used is to use the notation then describe it as 1 with X number of zeros behind it.[/quote]

I have also seen effective use of Standard Form.

e.g. 8.19 Ã- 10[To the power of 13]
Blkasp
Blkasp
1,304 posts
Nomad

Wow, Armorgames forums you disappoint me yet again

8.19 x 10[To the power of 13]

Showing 16-30 of 31