ForumsThe Tavernpuzzles that look easy, but actually really hard

4 1927
dragonico
dragonico
474 posts
Nomad

Did that ever happen?
What kind of puzzles look easy, but very complicated?
(this could be vice-versa as well)

• 4 Replies
cornholiobungholio
cornholiobungholio
122 posts
Nomad

I guess sudoku looks complicated, but is easy.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

No he means that looke easy buy is hard not hard but looks easy.

lol what a coincidence. again think before you type. he said "vice-versa"

i do agree on the rubicks cube though
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

The Monty Hall problem (it's a riddle, but close enough).

You're on a game show and you have three doors, behind 2 are goats, and behind one is a car. You choose one door, and another door containing a goat is revealed. You then get to choose wether or not you want to switch the door you choose originally with the other remaining door. The question is, will switching improve your chances of winning?

The answer at first glance sounds like a no, it's a 50/50 chance you'll switch to the right door, but if you think about it, when you originally chose a door, you had a 2/3 chance of picking one with a goat and a 1/3 chance of the one with the car. After a door with a goat was revealed, there is still a 2/3 chance that the door you chose has a goat behind it. So chances are, originally you choose a goat door, so switching probably will result in switching to one with a car.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

The Monty Hall problem (it's a riddle, but close enough).

You're on a game show and you have three doors, behind 2 are goats, and behind one is a car. You choose one door, and another door containing a goat is revealed. You then get to choose wether or not you want to switch the door you choose originally with the other remaining door. The question is, will switching improve your chances of winning?

The answer at first glance sounds like a no, it's a 50/50 chance you'll switch to the right door, but if you think about it, when you originally chose a door, you had a 2/3 chance of picking one with a goat and a 1/3 chance of the one with the car. After a door with a goat was revealed, there is still a 2/3 chance that the door you chose has a goat behind it. So chances are, originally you choose a goat door, so switching probably will result in switching to one with a car.

Somebody was watching that Mythbusters episode where they did this.

Rubix cubes I agree with. I cannot even do a 2 by 2!
Showing 1-4 of 4