ForumsThe TavernPeople abuse acronyms.

23 4920
Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

It's impossible to join a conversation or a new game when you see these people saying random stuff. It gets on my nerves because half of it doesn't make any sense.

Discuss.

• 23 Replies
cornholiobungholio
cornholiobungholio
122 posts
Nomad

It makes sense to them somehow like "rofl"<now that's just a lie. :P

Oradriel
Oradriel
6 posts
Nomad

The worst part, is being old and knowing what it all means. A lobotomy should remove that useless brain matter. Such a waste.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

don't realy mind acronyms when it really is a pain to type out the whole thing, but acronyms like "lol" and "sdk" are just annoying.
Most of the time when tey are saying random stuff it means they are really young and have bad influences of other people who do it so the young peeps think its cool to do that.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

It's all because of texting.

It's much quicker to type acronyms on a phone, and it just becomes a habit for people.

When they find new terms in games that are too long, hey, a new acronym is created.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I don't mind it when texting, but when speaking and on online forums like this (hey!), I find them ****ing annoying and that they contribute nothing to the discussion.

Notice I said forums. Not your messenger, but the forums.

dragonico
dragonico
474 posts
Nomad

It's all because of texting.

I think that is the reason as well.
I agree.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Whenever I see an AAP (acronym abusing person), I just think to myself, WWJD? He'd probably think WTF since there weren't too many acronyms B.J.D (before Jesus died). Also, Jesus was a NESP (non english speaking person) so he wouldn't know what context the acronyms were coming from anyway. Unless they were acronyms that had to do with biblical carpentry, like "PMTTWUIOFSNHBIY,MTWRMTHFTA (Pass me those things we use instead of nails since nails haven't been invented yet, Man this will really make things hard for the Amish)"

And thats what Jesus would do. Fact.

What's worse still is PWMUAANTSWTASF (People who make up acronyms and then say what the acronyms stand for), because if they are typing the whole thing out anyway they aren't really saving any time, are they? And TWIT (that's what I think).

NubaSlaya
NubaSlaya
28 posts
Nomad

^ i rofled at that PWMUAANTSWTASF (Person who made up acronyms and then said what the acronyms standed for)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

It's impossible to join a conversation or a new game when you see these people saying random stuff. It gets on my nerves because half of it doesn't make any sense.

Discuss.

I'm mainly going to mention acronyms that are more technical, rather than just the shortening of language into colloquial terms (Wth, btw, etc).

Well, it's not their fault that they were speaking in terms they could understand only to make it more convenient. A rocket scientist speaks in NASA jargon, but no one finds fault with that. An economist uses financial terms but no one has qualms with that.

Learn to live with it. The world doesn't revolve around you.
bdogg214ever
bdogg214ever
44 posts
Nomad

I'll admit that I do use them but some are pretty stupid. rofl is really stupid and lmao isn't even physically possible.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,231 posts
Jester

i don't have a phone, so i am free of the terrible influence. yay me. i just use things lioke wtf and btw sometimse.

Epic563
Epic563
166 posts
Nomad

Learn to live with it. The world doesn't revolve around you.

And where was my selfishness? I didn't say I absoultely hate it, but it just gets on my nerves. I'm sure you have pet peeves too, so think before you post.

Here's an example: I have a few games in the Legend of Zelda series, so I decided to post a little in the thread. Well, right away I got terms like LoZ: OoT (Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time) and other stuff. That was the only one I knew. Acronyms involve a bit of laziness and hesitation, mixed with confusing, to create 3 cups of "WHAT??!"
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

And where was my selfishness? I didn't say I absoultely hate it, but it just gets on my nerves. I'm sure you have pet peeves too, so think before you post.

No need to get hostile. He is just pointing out it's nothing that can be changed for various reasons. The phrasing might have been a bit wrong, but there is no need to get angry just because of some guy on the internet.

Personally, thanks to the internet, I don't mind acronyms that much, as long as they are used reasonably. If someone is going to write chat speak at me, I am not going to read it. If one communicates through text, they should be aware that people are going to judge them on they way they communicate, and I personally won't have high thoughts about someone with writing that looks like someone smashed their face against the keyboard repeatedly.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

And where was my selfishness? I didn't say I absoultely hate it, but it just gets on my nerves

It gets on my nerves because half of it doesn't make any sense.

Nor did I actually accuse you of hating it. I was just stating that there's nothing you can do about it, since it is up to them to write whatever they want. Don't accuse me of anything or twist my words thank you.
Yodadude53
Yodadude53
1,495 posts
Nomad

Most common acronyms like "lol" and "rofl" I'm fine with, but I absolutely hate when people make up acronyms and expect you to know what they mean. The people I talk to do it a lot.

Showing 1-15 of 23