ForumsThe TavernMy Xmas Problem >.>

7 1509
ThroatLozenge
ThroatLozenge
146 posts
Nomad

Whenever Christmas comes around I have this horrible problem of buying a tremendous amount of items for myself >.> I've probably spent 150 bucks on myself that I wouldn't have ever spent had I not been in stores getting things for other people.

I hate it but I just lose all self control in a select few stores.

HMV being the worst D: I just can't resist the deals they have right now. Both Transporter movies on dvd for 8 bucks in a nice case? I bought season 1 of the boondocks for 15 bucks the other day. A 2 disc johhny cash album with hi live at Folsom Prison and San Quentin, a live Mastodon album, The Hold Steady's album "Stay Positive", and The Barenaked Ladies greatest hits D:

Previously I bought The Robocop trilogy for ten dollars and many other albums D:

I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF AROUND GOOD DEALS.

Anyone else have a problem with buying themselves a lot of stuff around Christmas?

• 7 Replies
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Not really. I give myself a budget beforehand and sort out everything I want to buy to eliminate things that I will waste money on. It's not hard if you devote yourself to staying away from the sale temptation. But bad habits can be hard to break.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

try making a list of what you want before leaving the house.

maybe if you see something you really want you can take it instead of a few items on your list. like a budget too.

or you can just decide to not buy anything for yourself, or just dont go to stores.

the value of money is a great ability that unfortunately i lack. i just cant see its value. i do know its important of course. you see, if im saving money then i will never spend a penny. if im wasting money i will probably waste all of it. since i know that im such a type i just save it and buy nothing. fortunately there arent many things i like and i dont go out to stores alot anyway. except for video games i wouldnt really buy anything that is unnecesairy for me

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I never buy anything because there is a sale, because this usually leads to me buying stuff i don't need for no other reason than because i can. If there is something i want, and a sale is coming up, then i'll wait for the sale to buy it.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

really? kinda the opposite for me. i do that buying gifts for other people. i feel like i want to get everybody a gift but i'm almost broke right now. stupid child laborer laws!!! if i had a job i would have money for gifts for other people and myself.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

Here comes a very mature solution.
My mom buys it for me.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

my mom buys christmas gifts before it is christmas and then she has for anyone a gift at christmas eve.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

if i had a job i would have money for gifts for other people and myself.

Don't count on it, though.
Get a new vice: Greed. Direct it at money and saving as much money as you can, and then just assign the few money needed for presents.

Or don't take that much money with you. No credit cards, no extra money for food or anything, just those money you will need for buying the presents. If you then use money on yourself, you are subtracting them from the money you were going to use for gifts, thus showing you hate the people you are buying gifts for, and you should be ashamed of yourself and put down that dvd you want and go cry in a corner due to how evil you are.
Guilt works well.

Alternately, get to talk with a therapist about your budding hoarding tendencies.

See me, I don't have that problem, because I am cheap as heck, and I don't actually have that much money. So everything I buy for me is subtracting directly from the money I am buying gifts for, r alternately, the money I need for rent, food or heat.
Obviously, it works out.
Showing 1-7 of 7