ForumsProgramming ForumHey guys, check out my game in progress

56 24650
Freckls627
Freckls627
31 posts
Nomad

I've been working on this for a little over a month and would like to hear what you guys have to say about it.

[url=http://people.rit.edu/sbm3990/309/Game/Flow.html]

• 56 Replies
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I played this in firefox, and it worked fine except for three bugs:

1) the mute button didn't seem to work in the opening menu. I couldn't find a mute button in the actual game.

2) If you are holding a block and click off screen, the box disappears. This is of course undesirable, since you only get so many boxes.

3) When I was sliding down a wall, and clicked on a gray box on the other side of the wall, my character teleported to through the wall.

Some other things: An arrow that pointed to the goal would be nice. On one of those levels I didn't really know which direction I should have been traveling in.

Maybe different sizes of blocks that you can pick up?

Freckls627
Freckls627
31 posts
Nomad

Thanks for the feedback, it really helps me when people find things in my game that I don't anticipate.

To start off, the mute button is just a place holder for now, I plan to get that fixed as soon as possible.

The problem you had while sliding down a wall and getting pushed to the side has to do with the ability to place walls on yourself which I will get rid of in an update.

As for the 2nd problem you had, what exactly do you mean. If you clicked outside the flash game it would place a block? Or did you click and then drag your cursor, then placing blocks outside of the game? I tried it right now and I couldn't recreate clicking and placing blocks outside of the game. It could have something to do with my computer, but if you could get back to me that would be great!

And thanks for the ideas, I do plan to make the way to the objective more obvious those last two levels I know are very difficult to get through. I do plan on later adding different types of blocks as well to spice the gameplay up a bit.

Once again thanks for the feedback.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

As for the 2nd problem you had, what exactly do you mean. If you clicked outside the flash game it would place a block? Or did you click and then drag your cursor, then placing blocks outside of the game? I tried it right now and I couldn't recreate clicking and placing blocks outside of the game. It could have something to do with my computer, but if you could get back to me that would be great!

No, I was still clicking inside of the actual game, just not in the map. In the level where you start by having to slide down walls, and then make somewhere to land while sliding (the same place where I discovered the teleportation glitch), if you go far enough to the left, weird things happen. If you stand on top of that structure on the bottom left, you can pick up all of the little gray boxes. If you try to make a path to the left, you can only lay down two gray boxes to the left of where you are standing. Anything further than that, and they just vanish. If you are holding multiple boxes, and click far enough to the left, you lay down all of your boxes in the same square at once. When you click on this box, you pick up multiple boxes at once.
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

It looks pretty good from my perspective, nothing wrong really, no glitches that I ran into; but it would make it easier to navigate the maps if there was a mini-map to show you where you were supposed to go. Also, I'm right handed, so trying to do the wall jumps in perfect succession became very taxing and gave my hand cramps. I would like the ability to also be able to use the arrow keys to move instead of trying to develop co-ordination in a hand that can do only menial tasks.

Freckls627
Freckls627
31 posts
Nomad

Oh, nice I know exactly what you're talking about!
Pretty much I have an algorithm that keeps the blocks locked to a grid, when you go into negative space things start to go crazy and stack up on each other like you said. A fix is on the way don't worry. I do congratulate you for really pushing my game! It's really nice to have people like you who really go outside the boundaries of what most people test. Thanks for taking time to explain to me the problem in detail as well.

As for the arrow keys no problemo, I'll add that in as soon as I can. I'm working on a way to make the maps more navigable too. I think I may have said this before, but I'll let you guys know when I'm about to push a big update.

Thanks for getting back to me and giving me feedback!

Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

Hi
Did you remove objects that are not visible in the screen? that can really increase game speed and performance, and you can make larger levels without lagging.

kingzach
kingzach
22 posts
Jester

Wow, this looks nice. music is entertaining. graphics make me feel like I'm exploring he insides of a computer. pet peeve of mine is not being able to mute music or quit the level mid-game. If you could add a pause feature with muting and quit to level select, that would be awesome.

kingzach
kingzach
22 posts
Jester

I hate posting multiple times just after each other but I find that when I run against a gray box and jump, I get flung far the opposite way from the key I was holding down. Also, I hope you add more levels because four seems really short.

ScouseWarrior
ScouseWarrior
1,391 posts
Nomad

This game, will be a good one when the full realese comes out

AsianBrandon
AsianBrandon
29 posts
Nomad

I dont get how to play this game >.<

AsianBrandon
AsianBrandon
29 posts
Nomad

wait, it was just a bug. I just had to refreshed, but great game.

getanewhouse
getanewhouse
44 posts
Nomad

That's pretty cool. I like the graphics set. And the instructions are in he game play. I think this one will do pretty well.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

very nice... the music gets a little annoying after a while but maybe that's just me.

Freckls627
Freckls627
31 posts
Nomad

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm writing down all the things you guys have to say and I'll definitely be pushing an update within a week or two, maybe a small one before the holidays hit.

Mightybob I can definitely see how the music can get annoying, so I'm working on making it longer and more subtle, and of course adding a mute button.

I really appreciate what you guys have to say and I appreciate all the support!

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Wow, this is awesome! Keep up the good work.

Showing 16-30 of 56