ForumsThe TavernTwitter

13 1818
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Anyone here uses it? I used to be a Twitter addict, and tweet like crazy. Been slowing down now though....

• 13 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I don't get the point of Twitter. I mean it seems pretty pointless. Do you just tweet what you are doing?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Do you just tweet what you are doing?

Maybe. Not all the time. I just tweet what I feel like, though I use it more of a tool to see how my friends are.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Oh, and I get news updates and snippets which are linked from there to articles. It's nice to follow the Economist or BBC on Twitter.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

But wouldn't some other site be more effective for that, such as Facebook?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

But wouldn't some other site be more effective for that, such as Facebook?

Well, Facebook is more of a hassle to load and connect on a phone, Twitter is much faster, and my FB feed gets clogged with other stuff like photo uploads at first.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

4:32 pm - I am eating a can of beans.

4:44 pm - oh no they're expired!

5:11 pm - i don't feel good D:

5:33 pm - how's the garden doing?

5:52 pm - hospital, schmospital.. I'll take a few pills and I'll be fine

10 pm: (On latenight TV) BREAKING NEWS: CAN OF BEANS KILLS MAN.. in other news, the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of cat-human marriage.

I guess Twitter is good for people who already have lurkers, creepers, stalkers and fans. It works in a system that is vastly different from others. Interaction with and the size of your following are more important on Twitter. The main focus is on those 140 words. Ah, the beauty of microblogging.

Aside from catering to people worth some sort of following, Twitter can be good for more serious pursuits: business, advertising, news etc. Things tend to disseminate quickly on that site. Just remember how the Arab Spring exploited social media.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Things tend to disseminate quickly on that site. Just remember how the Arab Spring exploited social media.

Or the failed 2008 (2007?) Iranian Revolution. The political parties here started using Twitter to reach out, though tellingly the people who got the most followers were political satirists.

Anyway yes, I have a friend who does that. She sorts of annoys us all, rambling on and on about every detail.

And oh what joy, now my lecturer has a Twitter where he disseminates articles for us to read >> As if I don't get enough from his econs lectures.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

The "Twitter" Revolution in Iran took place in 2009, I think. Wiki lists it as '09 to '10.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

lol i used it in 6th grade for school
we had private twitter accounts and the teacher would tweet a question and we would all answer it....
and thats the reason i dont use twitter :P

CalvinKidd137
CalvinKidd137
888 posts
Nomad

Twitter is stupid. The only point in having one is if you are a celebrity and so everyone who "Follows you" can see what you posted and laugh, cry etc. about it. Other than that it is dumb because you don't do anything really. Same with Facebook too. All I do on that is play PawnStars the Game.

Yodadude53
Yodadude53
1,495 posts
Nomad

#Ifindtwitterreallypointlessandannoyingwithallthehashtagsandbadgrammarandthefacthat99%ofthetweetsarepointless
It's cool to be "closer" to a favorite musician or athlete, but I really don't care if they just drank coffee.

ForTheCity
ForTheCity
47 posts
Nomad

i like using twitter. but not too much. tweet about twice a day since i'm at work most of the time. nothing to exciting.

Showing 1-12 of 13