ForumsThe TavernA funny letter

10 2055
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

THis is a funny letter I found while net surfing:-

Let's face it, we live in tough times, where you can't say your opinion with confidence that the loser sitting near you won't take offence and cause you unwanted drama. So, to help you all out over this touchy religious holiday season we have composed a safe xmas Christmas letter that won't get you any new friends, but won't get you in trouble either. de nada.

Hello,

I wanted to send some sort of holiday greeting, but it is difficult in today's world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I met with my lawyer yesterday, and on advice I wish to say the following:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress , non addictive, gender neutral celebration of the summer solstice holiday practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious / secular persuasions and / or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all .

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2012, but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great ( not to imply that Australia is necessarily greater than any other country ) and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee .

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms:

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her / him or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. The wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher .

Best Regards ( without prejudice )

Name withheld ( Privacy Act )
  • 10 Replies
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

This offends me!, on the grounds that it is too non-specific, suck-up-ish, and politically correct.

Seriously, most people acknowledge and enjoy Christmas etc., which means that the pinheads who get all fussy about it are the minority. Say Merry Christmas! If they don't like it, they need to suck it up.

Politically INcorrect, and proud of it! >

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

The thing is, I like it when people say "Happy holidays", because I actually celebrate Holiday. I just have to mentally capitalize the "h".

I do feel that many people who celebrate non-christmas winter holidays act a little bit uncomfortable when told "Merry Christmas". And yes, it isn't terribly offensive, but it is a little bit odd to just assume someone has the same faith as you.

Glorious h(H)olidays to all!

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Well that letter is funny
But what really pisses me off is what ny is doing to the famous Christmas tree. It's now called the holiday tree. Wtf?!?!? I mean really, how many Jewish people go to see a giant Christmas tree even though its now called a holiday tree? That was sooo stupid

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

This letter is from a site called politicaly incorrect

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Wtf?!?!? I mean really, how many Jewish people go to see a giant Christmas tree even though its now called a holiday tree? That was sooo stupid

Why are we only assuming that Christians celebrate Christmas? Where I come from, many of us celebrate it too, but we aren't Christians.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

its such a waste of time. so im offended because you wished me a happy holiday i dont celibrate? be happy that the person wants you to be happy. i got chocolate at my work from a lady i do not know because of the new year i dont celibrate. so i should tell her im offended, push her away from hugging me and return the chocolate?

i always wish people my holiday and the holiday i know they celibrate. i think its just a nice way to tell someone you think about them and to even learn about eachothers culture.

i LOVE christmas even though i dont celibrate it and if i lived in a place where many people celibrated people i would be happy if people wished me a merry christmas.

also... changing the christmas trees name IS kind of pointless....

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

To be honest, people getting offended over such things are probably more narrowminded than anyone else anyway, whether they actually doesn't celebrate Christmas (which can hardly be considered a strictly Christian holiday any more anyway).
If someone wished me a happy Samhain or Hannukah or Valentine's Day or Eat-pork-day or whatever, even if I wasn't part of those traditions, I would still be happy that someone was hoping I had a nice (couple of) day(s), and was wishing me a good time.

Here, there is no secondary word for this time of the year, so even if you don't celebrate Christmas, you will most likely get a "merry Christmas" anyway. It's just how it is, there are no ill thoughts behind it, rather the opposite, and should one get offended and angry, I would promptly take my well wishings back, since they don't want them and don't particularly deserve them. And if it makes them better, I will wish them a horrible day, I will hope they slip n the stairs and gets bitten by a face-nom'er.
Since that apparently is what they were aiming for.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

You know whats a really funny letter?

Q

I mean just look at that!

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

You know whats a really funny letter?

Q

I mean just look at that!

That joke just made me throw up in my mouth a little.

I'm Jewish, and frankly, I LOVE the h(H)oliday season! All of the lights and stuff are just great! My family has an joke where we try to guess the electric bill for some of the neighbors who try to outdo eachother, and it is just so fun! Plus everyone just seems happier around this time of year.

So Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanza, and a Happy New Year to all!
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

this letter reminded me of the south park episode where thy made a christmas theatre piece and in the end they wore black clothes.

Showing 1-10 of 10