ForumsThe TavernChannukah Traditions

11 1863
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Sorry this is a bit late guys (3rd night just happened), but I want to here from the Jewish community on AG what some of their favorite Channukah traditions are. Also, if anyone would like for me to post the story of Channukah, or if anyone has questions about the story of Channukah, feel free to ask here and I'm sure that one of the Jews on AG, if not me, will answer your question.

Also, as is mandatory, post every way that you know how to spell "Channukah" XD

Hannuka
Hannukah
Channukah
Channuka
Chanuka
Hanuka
Hanukah
Chanukah

Happy Channukah Everyone!

• 11 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

i like hanuka. i LOVE the food you get in hanuka and they only sell that kind of food when hanuka is close. its sad but i guess its one of the reasons i like that food so much.

lighting the hanukiya is pretty fun for some reason :3

in israel its the time when they also start many shows and activities for children. unfortunately, i dont have a hanuka vacation since i finished school already

oh and its fun to make an english speaker say hanuka right (im talking about the h/ch :P)

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

oh and its fun to make an english speaker say hanuka right (im talking about the h/ch :P)

Haha, don't worry, I took Hebrew a little bit, so I can make the "ch" sound. But it's also fun to make others try XD

One of my Channukah traditions is on the first night, we each make our own latke, even though that usually ends up with either me or my sister burned in oil. This year, my sister won the prize!
loco5
loco5
16,287 posts
Peasant

i really don't celebrate it seeing as i am atheist, but it does seem interesting, also one of my brothers Jewish friends said he lost 200 dollars in a heated game of Dreidel.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

Haha, don't worry, I took Hebrew a little bit, so I can make the "ch" sound. But it's also fun to make others try XD

lol i know right? as one of my friends on AG said: "it is the voice you hear when the tv shows snow :3"

i really don't celebrate it seeing as i am atheist, but it does seem interesting, also one of my brothers Jewish friends said he lost 200 dollars in a heated game of Dreidel.

lol? i dont think betting is part of the hanuka tradition XD. usually children recieve small amounts of money but i guess that changes in families. last year i got 200 sheckels (i think thats 50 dollars) and this year i got 50... even though i get 50 sheckels every week... XD
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

last year i got 200 sheckels (i think thats 50 dollars) and this year i got 50... even though i get 50 sheckels every week... XD

In Israel, do they give out money instead of presents? I've heard that giving gifts on Channukah is an American thing to do.

Anyways, just finished peeling the potatoes for the latkes. When my mom makes latkes, she uses about an inch of oil and they are SO GOOD!!!!!!
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

In Israel, do they give out money instead of presents? I've heard that giving gifts on Channukah is an American thing to do.

they give money to children. and yes, i do think that presents is an american thing. i think my american english teacher explained that its because non-jewish people there get presents while they dont.

Anyways, just finished peeling the potatoes for the latkes. When my mom makes latkes, she uses about an inch of oil and they are SO GOOD!!!!!!

AHHH not the american system D:

lol idk what an inch is but thats ok since i cant even cook eggs XP.

yes.... latkes are good
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

lol idk what an inch is but thats ok since i cant even cook eggs XP

Basically there is a puddle of oil...

They are SO bad for you but SO GOOD!!!!!

yummy :P
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

Basically there is a puddle of oil...

They are SO bad for you but SO GOOD!!!!!

yummy :P

lol yes i know. and then eating sufganiyot doesnt make it healthier XD

also, a puddle can mean many things. the dead sea is a puddle too XP
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

lol yes i know. and then eating sufganiyot doesnt make it healthier XD

OMG I LOVE SUFGANIYOT!!!!!!!!!!

also, a puddle can mean many things. the dead sea is a puddle too XP

now now, lets not get technical lol
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

OMG I LOVE SUFGANIYOT!!!!!!!!!!

do sufganiyot taste like doughnuts? (unfortunately ive never tasted one)

i like chocolate filled sufganiyot the best. i dont really like jam. empty ones are delicios too. do you have more kinds? i think there are more but ive never seen or tasted them
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

do sufganiyot taste like doughnuts? (unfortunately ive never tasted one)

Erm, sortofish. They are similar to doughnuts. I would say that if a jar of jelly had a baby with a doughnut, and then that baby was put on steroids, that would be what a sufganiyot is XD
Showing 1-11 of 11