ForumsPopular MediaMovies these days getting too unrealistic?

16 5604
Regicidal
Regicidal
53 posts
Nomad

Well yesterday i saw a movie indiana jones and i thought to myself at first what a cool movie. then later on in the movie i saw them like falling off a like a 90 ft waterfall and just getting up.or being hit against a steel box just groan and just life back up i guess. movies have to be unrealistic or else no body will watch them lol.

• 16 Replies
Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

Yes they are getting a bit unrealistic but they did a good job on Rambo 4

Regicidal
Regicidal
53 posts
Nomad

i Agree

elite612
elite612
17 posts
Nomad

So do i but thats the point isnt it to make something so really that its just unreal???

elite612
elite612
17 posts
Nomad

and yes i Agree

MrMonkey3
MrMonkey3
495 posts
Nomad

ya some of these movies are soo unrealistic it ruins it. You gave a good example regicidal with indiana jones WAY too lucky even ironman how'd he not get discovered building the suit earlier. But a little unrealism isnt bad at all it's only when directiors take it to extremes and use it in every scene. Btw i would still go c indiana jones and ironman both are good movies 2 thumbs up

The_Masquerade
The_Masquerade
140 posts
Nomad

Excuse me, but I'm sure many in the community would like to believe there is something more out there. In fact, it is even proven by psychiatrists and psychological studies people like to believe there is something more so being unrealistic is a good way to make money. Why would you want to watch a movie about everyday life? Also, "a little bit too unrealistic" is an opinion and some people think its just fine being unrealistic as it is just a movie.

Also, Regicidal, it is possible to survive from a 90 ft drop in water if you don't hit any rocks and be hit by a metal box as there are more extreme cases where the injured did not die.

Mac_MK, many people like violence. Plain, simple violence. You're living, breathing proof of those people.

elite612, the point is that its a movie. A movie does not have to be Realistic Fiction. Unless you can honestly say you would want all other genres of stories to be terminated from existence.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I just finished watching the First Lord of the Rings movie, and I was telling myself, how did 4 hobbits, Aragorn, Boramir, Gimli, and Gandalf kill thousands of orcs with ONLY losing Borimir? Well the movie would've sucked if it was realistic. It is just much more fun to see the good guys own instead of seeing them all die. That is why a death is so emotional and serious. Because it almost never happens!

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

I have also noticed that they are obviously running out of good ideas for movies, for example they brought back rambo and made a 4th one, they brought back indiana jones and made another one, they remade omega man with I am legend, and also any movie you see is probably a sequel to another movie.

Just my thoughts on movies lately

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hm, actually on the note of death, I do think that the treatment (and its success) varies.

My partner came up with the notion of a cathartic balance, which I thought was a nifty term. Let us assume that a fiction in the moving pictures medium (okay okay, a movie) generates its own fictional world, in which the viewer is immersed not only into a setting but also a world of values. It's this that has been discussed earlier- if people can relate to the values it doesn't really matter how 'unrealistic' the film is. That's the be-all and end-all of the commercial success of fiction, really.

As for death, however, different genres will create different expectations. Such franchises (heh) like the Rambo films, or Die Hard films or even the Terminator films don't really pay much attention to the consequences or impact of death. In a way it's merely incidental to the other aims and emphases of the film: explosions, action, and violence.

However, in more recent times, films have taken a slightly different direction, and attempted (in part) to become less unidimensional (Terminator is arguably an exception to this, unlike most things Stallone and Willis worked on). Notable recent examples would include Raimi's take on Spiderman and the Bourne trilogy. In fact, one of the central themes of the latter was questioning the motivations and authority to kill a person.

How successful this is really depends on how death is treated: in those early action films where bodies flying around like rag dolls (because they used rag-dolls) were a common occurrence, it would be difficult to then have a scene where a death was portrayed with any seriousness, as it would seem very contrived. At the same time, in classic good-vs-evil stories, the death of hostile elements can often be completely overlooked...I mean just take a look at Coheed's last post:

how did 4 hobbits, Aragorn, Boramir, Gimli, and Gandalf kill thousands of orcs with ONLY losing Borimir?

And then just further on:

That is why a death is so emotional and serious. Because it almost never happens!

I can almost hear the orcs saying "But what about me?" That is, if they could talk intelligibly! Which, for the most part, they didn't...because we weren't supposed to identify with them.

For my part I tend to favor films that portray not so much realism but more 'even' playing grounds. Where it is apparent that all that drives conflicts are individual motivations, as opposed to some moral value-system. That might be the kind of 'realism' that you're looking for.
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Excuse me, but I'm sure many in the community would like to believe there is something more out there. In fact, it is even proven by psychiatrists and psychological studies people like to believe there is something more so being unrealistic is a good way to make money. Why would you want to watch a movie about everyday life?

I agree with that, I mean sometimes unrealitic is a good thing, and trust me if every movie was realistic then people would complain about that! Also if you want realistic, go watch a documentry, because sometimes those are as real and close to movies as your gonna get! And what movie dose not have it's unrealistic feel to it?

Whether it be "the govenater" picking up an elevater and throughing it at a buch of cops, or a high speed chase, you need to get a bit unrealistic. Thats just my ophinion....
allright88
allright88
154 posts
Nomad

[quote]too realistic...they have to do that.cauz some people are getting lazy.to cover their lazy shots.[or]actions

Jordanhasgerms
Jordanhasgerms
150 posts
Nomad

I'm gonna have to disagree! Today the movies are very realistic. They've kinda drawn away from the Sci-Fi genre and everything like that so I don't see how you even get that idea!

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Of course they are.

They just make them that way because they please people and the companies get what they want: Uber Moolah!

Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

If you have watched the new King Kong they made it good but you can tell almost everything is in the same spot where they make the movie

Mac_MK
Mac_MK
752 posts
Nomad

Rambo is the best they know how to make it good with action I can't get over the killing

Showing 1-15 of 16