ForumsArt, Music, and WritingMoon's Metrophobia

258 106484
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

THE THIRD TIME IS THE CHARM!

As some of you might already know. I'm Moon. This is my third attempt at keeping a thread alive.

It's totally gonna die,
and I might cry.
But it's worth a try :3

^ Poem of the OP. Please Help the poem prove itself wrong, and don't let it die. Donate your time and feedback to this poor thread, so it can feed it's baby poems. :>

Anyways. I'm not really sure what all this will contain, I just hope there will actually be people willing to help me become better at whatever I try to do. So... I guess that means I will be writing (duh), drawing, and other artsy-fartsy stuff I shall attempt.

So... That's all I have for the OP! I hope that all onlookers will enjoy what I do!

• 258 Replies
Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

1% !!!!

Richard Adams, because he's a modern author that preserves the Romantic and bucolic style of medieval British literature.

Catch-22. Ever read it? Then you know why.

Er, prose? I have a deep-seated distain for poetry that stems from my inability to write it.

As for favorite genre, I guess my answer would be not poetry. Fiction or non-fiction, autobiographical, it doesn't really matter.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Poet: Rudyard Kipling.
Author: P.G. Wodehouse.
Poem: No.
Book: Zany Afternoons.
Poetry Preferred: Esoteric and/or obscure; nothing overladen with alliteration or assonance.
Reading Material: Humour.

FishPreferred
FishPreferred
3,171 posts
Duke

Forgot to explain:

Wodehouse, because his humour is superb.
Kipling, because...well, I'm not sure, but he came up with some interesting works.
Zany Afternoons is an illustrated book of sheer nonsense, including the ironing board building, tank polo, and popular workbench.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Favorite author would be Voltaire. Dude was a comedic and political genius.
Favorite book is The Stranger by Camus. It's the only book that made me cry.
Preferred poem is epic. I love longer stuff.
Favorite genre is romance. I love love!

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Thanks for your responses, guys. It came in handy for my research~

Anyways, I'm trying to write a bit more, and this is what I have so far for the poetry contest. I want to expand it a bit, but for now I'll leave it heere. Feel free to tell me what you like or dislike, or just tell me anything at all.

A slumbering mountain,
Ancient and exhausted.
Shifting and moving,
An avalanche of tingles.
The sound of snapping trees
mixed with the shrill cries of birds.
Piercing through dusty lids,
The brilliant sun grows brighter,
ripping you from lethargy.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I'd like to say something, but for some reason it doesn't seem like a good idea.

You'll hear about in a week, even if you don't submit.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I'd like to say something, but for some reason it doesn't seem like a good idea.

You'll hear about in a week, even if you don't submit.

ooo I am waiting~

Pity I didn't go back and polish it so I could submit it, but it's alright seeing as how the poetry contest has even been unstickied.

I'm still around, kiddos. School starts today and I'll be working 3 jobs so I may not be around very often, but I'll make an attempt to be more active than I am now.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I unsticky a lot of things. If it were up to me, I'd unsticky everything and leave the only one sticky in each forum with a bunch of animated GIFs and links to threads. I'm going to properly redo a few and it will be perfection.

A slumbering mountain,
Ancient and exhausted.
Shifting and moving,
An avalanche of tingles.
The sound of snapping trees
mixed with the shrill cries of birds.
Piercing through dusty lids,
The brilliant sun grows brighter,
ripping you from lethargy.

I think this is too metaphor heavy. The idea is there, but the comparison to the image of an old slumbering mountain is too clichéd. The sharpness of sensory input, shrill, piercing, ripping action puts force behind being woken unwillingly, and I like that, but I think there could be a stronger contrast and a better transition from slumbering to ripping, reinforced perhaps by regular rhythm coupled with pleasant alliteration, assonance, or consonance like using slow/slowly, slothful, sluggish, etc. when you also use slumbering. Slowly, slothful, sluggish would easily fit a trochee or an iamb. However, this might take some power/reverence away from the image of an ancient mountain stirring.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Why are you scared of trains anyway? Or big cities?

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Why are you scared of trains anyway? Or big cities?

what
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

"Metrophobia"

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

"Metrophobia"

why don't you google, metrophobia, hun.
It means fear of poetry. And this is a poetry thread. get it
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Metro for the public transportation comes from metropolitan subway. Metropolitan comes from metropolis. Metropolis comes from Greek meaning "mother city". Therefore, metrophobia could actually mean "mother fear".

Metro in the sense of metrophobia as referenced above comes from the Greek word for measure. Poem already comes from Greek. Why the heck do you appropriate the word 'meter' into metrophobia in some weird synedochic confusatorium. poetophobia would make more sense even if it's wrong.

English sucks.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

English sucks.

Tru.

It's why we should all learn Chinese, kids. I don't care if you want to call it Mandarin or Putonghua or whatever the hell but you all need to go out and learn some form of it because it makes sense in a weird way.

that is all.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

It's been 11 months exactly since I've posted here.

Wow.

How has the AMW been? Any quality stuff coming from this place anymore? What's happened in the past (almost) year?

Showing 241-255 of 258