ForumsProgramming ForumHelp needed for a LARGE RPG PROJECT

13 5405
gunmanprice
gunmanprice
9 posts
Nomad

I have come up with a great amount of ideas for a magnificent RPG, adventure, sandbox, survival, kingdom management type game set in the middle ages, and i need talented coders and any other people to help in the making of this game. I have layed out almost everything i have come up with in the short time from when i have thought of the idea, to now. so after you read the mechanics of it, and think you could help just post a comment or email me and we can talk.

mechanics:
1. The game will have the base rpg engine like castaway 2 but not much like it, just as a example, and the game will be in a isometric view like castaway 2 also (got inspiration while playing it).
2. The kingdom management will be like you get resource by assigning villagers to areas of resource rich areas that you discover on your travel's or by gathering them yourself while you are traveling.
3. The game will have a story to it but i wont tell it all here, but what i will say is your start out as a normal villager and something happens to you at the beginning of the game.
4. The game will be completely free roam, as in you can head out of your village and explore the world around you. you find caves to explore and mountains to climb, fields to cultivate, herds to tame, and many other things as you explore the land.
5. Their will be crafting which you can do on your travels but at a basic lvl. You will need to head into a town to do advanced crafting.
6. You will need to keep a hunger, energy, and thirst bar up as well wil you are on your traveling, so the game will have a survival aspect to it.
7. The scenery and terrain of the game, if possible will be randomly generated. so it will be a new experience every time.
8. The game will have a wide variety of items to make it feel more realistic
9. as you progress through the game your town will grow and be able to support more people, as well as advance in technology which will make it possible for you to mine better resources and make better items for you and your villagers.
10. if possible i want to make the game have a companion system where as you progress through the game and grow your town, more adventurers like yourself will come, and you can recruit them so they will accompany you on your travels.
11. you will be able to change you view point to 4 different views so you will be able to see everything of the world, or the view could change automatically depending on which direction your facing.

Final statement: Now that is all i have so far but i came up with all that in about 30min, but if i can get a a few people to help me make this i will put much more work into thinking, and refining the ideas, and details of the game.

Helping: If you would like to help make the game, feel free to contact me at jasone9559@yahoo.com or post a comment with what ever contact info you feel is necessary. all i require is what part of the game you want to help with, and we will move on form their. now if you have skype that would be great for discussing the plans for the game.

Questions or contributions: Now if you have questions or would like to contribute to this project, feel free to leave a comment and i will be sure to reply.

That is all and i hope you liked my ideas.

P.S. A major point i should mention is i don't know any flash but i do know a bit of java, and i think i am decent at texture making. so i think i could learn flash, and do the art for the game if i can get this project up and running.

• 13 Replies
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Wouldn't it make more sense to learn the basic of Flash and perhaps some actionscripting so you are contributing more than ideas and a bit of artwork to the project?

I'm currently working on a project and I've asked advice on starting points here, but I've been out and bought 6 books on Flash, including game specific books and 3 on actionscripting. If I hit a stumbling block, I'm sure there are people here who will advise me and help along the way.

And your final statement of coming up with it all in 30 minutes... what is to stop a game developer coming up with 3 times that in 30 minutes and use their skills to produce a game themselves? Or on short, why would they need you? I'm not being rude, just questioning your logic.

Serphim
Serphim
195 posts
Peasant

RPG!? got it wrong mine is stick shooter

gunmanprice
gunmanprice
9 posts
Nomad

Well your statement is rude even if you didn't mean to be and i was being modest when i said 30min. on another point most of the stuff in the game will take much more than the basic of flash to do and i dont what to spend 2 years or more learning how to do all the stuff for 1 small flash game when its alot easier and funner to do it with people that know what their doing.

One of the main reason's i made this thread was to have fun making a flash game with a few people and i also said i would learn flash if i could find people to work with, because i work better in groups.

Now you do know that making a game isn't just about knowing how too code either. its also about having the skill to make good artwork, textures and a good story. that's what i was offering ok.

gunmanprice
gunmanprice
9 posts
Nomad

another thing is if you work in a group you can split most of the work into parts and assign them to people best suited to that task and that would make the project go alot faster too.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Well your statement is rude even if you didn't mean to be and i was being modest when i said 30min. on another point most of the stuff in the game will take much more than the basic of flash to do and i dont what to spend 2 years or more learning how to do all the stuff for 1 small flash game when its alot easier and funner to do it with people that know what their doing.

You were being modest? Why, have you really spent 35 minutes on it?

One of the main reason's i made this thread was to have fun making a flash game with a few people and i also said i would learn flash if i could find people to work with, because i work better in groups.

And I genuinely wish you good luck with that.

Now you do know that making a game isn't just about knowing how too code either. its also about having the skill to make good artwork, textures and a good story. that's what i was offering ok.

Seriously? Awww no.. and there was me thinking I could just learn a bit of flash, maybe some actionscripting and completely do without sprite design, background design, storyboarding, sprite animation, cutscene animations, voice casting, sound recording, music, menu programming, game testing and debugging.

Now you've told me its more than just coding, I feel completely unprepared to make one myself. Why didn't you mention this on an earlier thread?

nother thing is if you work in a group you can split most of the work into parts and assign them to people best suited to that task and that would make the project go alot faster too.

You're missing the point though, what would a talented coder need you for? You may class that as a rude question, I'm not overly fussed if you do, but unless you're an talented designer who has spent more than 35 minutes just thinking about a game and actually has some content already together, what does a talented coder need you for?
Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

No way, without a good code a game sucks, sorry mate but have you played super mario bros from nes, it have no good story and the graphics arent cool, but the gameplay its just brilliant, so a game without good coding is a game without gameplay and a game without gameplay is a very very crappy game, hope you understant my statement.
gunmanprice
gunmanprice
9 posts
Nomad

ya you guys must feel realy good about yourselfs after putting me down when all i wanted was to get help in making a game i thouht would be fun too make and play.

Seriously? Awww no.. and there was me thinking I could just learn a bit of flash, maybe some actionscripting and completely do without sprite design, background design, storyboarding, sprite animation, cutscene animations, voice casting, sound recording, music, menu programming, game testing and debugging.

Now you've told me its more than just coding, I feel completely unprepared to make one myself. Why didn't you mention this on an earlier thread?

now the sarcasm wasn't needed but you brought it anyways. you realy are a ****en ***** for doing that and if you didn't like my ideas or what i can offer you didn't need to comment.

But i already know 1 thing is when you first posted it wasn't for a legitimate question at all. you already new what you wanted but you just wanted to bee rude about it. nice job douchbag.

No way, without a good code a game sucks, sorry mate but have you played super mario bros from nes, it have no good story and the graphics arent cool, but the gameplay its just brilliant, so a game without good coding is a game without gameplay and a game without gameplay is a very very crappy game, hope you understant my statement.

I never said good coders weren't needed, they are the backbone of a game. Now in most cases you need a good programmer, artist, and designer to make a successful game. Their are exceptions don't get me wrong. but most of the time you need a team to make a game good and quick, and that's what i want to build.
gunmanprice
gunmanprice
9 posts
Nomad

You're missing the point though, what would a talented coder need you for? You may class that as a rude question, I'm not overly fussed if you do, but unless you're an talented designer who has spent more than 35 minutes just thinking about a game and actually has some content already together, what does a talented coder need you for?

to comment on this. the game i want to make is a simple flash game nothing more. im not going to spend hours upon hours thinking and making sketches for something i don't even know will take off. that's why i want to get some people together so i know im not wasting my time, which i don't have tons of.
gunmanprice
gunmanprice
9 posts
Nomad

im sorry for the post above my last. i get mad when someone says something to insult me when i just wanted to have fun working on a small project with people that like these kind of game as much as i do.

ThyRaven
ThyRaven
1 posts
Nomad

Sigh... I don't often reply to this kind of threads, but let me take the time to do so now.

Dear OP, you are an "Idea Guy".

In other words, you came up with an idea, and decided to turn it into a real game by sharing it and building a team.

Pro tip: This will never work. Never.

Let me tell you something. I know how to code, and I can do some pixel art, but this doesn't make of me an idea guy, because when I get a sparkle of enlightenment and when I get this great idea in my mind about this awesome block buster game... I make it on my own.
No offence meant to you, but having an idea for a game is easy, just as easy as getting inspired by playing another one, which is, if I read your posts right, exactly what happened.
Now, the tough part is to write the code for that, I spent days and days just writing the code to make mobs spawn correctly following a pattern. I spent even more time coding the experience system because I wanted something original.
Compare all that time and effort (and that ****ing frustration that comes so often with programming), to your 30 minutes of hard work thinking a game out.
I can think too, you know, I can make up an ideas for a game every minute. But, again, the hard part is to actually make it real.

Now, I am a programmer mainly, but what I do need is an artist, because that demands work too. And an artist needs a programmer, because that demands as much work (with a little bit more frustration, no offence meant )... But yeah, in a team, who needs a guy who sits down all day spurting impossible ideas and hell-to-code systems?

Point is: Be an artist, or a programmer. This is the only way you will make your game real.
Ideas never sell, hard work does.

gusvieira
gusvieira
43 posts
Nomad

Dude, just ideas aren't enough. Just as ThyRaven stated, you have to give something in, rather than ideas. Its just too hard to work on ideas while the other guy just dreams and fantas away, and since it is just a small game, why the LARGE RPG PROJECT?

It takes too many hours to make a game (and if a good LARGE game, even more), and if you're low in time, you probably won't have what it takes to finish it, so maybe your ideas are a bit off.

Cool down and try to read it a bit understanding on our statements. Thy Raven gave perfect examples why a guy who just hands out ideas isn't wanted, since while everyone else will be actually doing the hard work, he'll just be sitting and waiting.

Hope you calm down and read through the real thing they're explaining you.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

to comment on this. the game i want to make is a simple flash game nothing more. im not going to spend hours upon hours thinking and making sketches for something i don't even know will take off. that's why i want to get some people together so i know im not wasting my time, which i don't have tons of.

ThyRaven has pretty much covered everything else, and repeated to you what I said to you in my original post.

But to respond to the above post, what you mentioned in the beginning wasn't a simple flash game. Look at the title of the thread, what was it you wrote in there again?

You may not like what is being said to you, but basically you're not going to get this game off the ground without doing something yourself, and as ThyRaven has said, ideas don't make a game, programmers and artists do.

You've ranted about wanting to work as part of team, but you haven't demonstrated how you could lead a team or even be a valued member of a team. All you've done is come up with an idea, and rather than getting involved in the AG forums, getting to know the very coders and artists you are going to need, your first post is about how you have a large project and people should jump right onboard.

And sorry to burst your bubble, but that hours of sketching and storyboarding is something that needs doing before you post up on a forum that you have an idea. Games take a long time to put together, not just a 30 minute idea that you can't even be bothered to put together into a presentable form to persuade others to get involved.

In short, no one is going to dedicate their time and energy to a project that you're not willing to put a decent amount of effort into before you ask for other people's input. Unless you're an artist or a programmer, what possible benefit is there for anyone to team up with you, other than to waste their time while you try and get the very basic concept of the game down on paper?

Friendliest advice I can offer is do all the ground work for your project, get to know people here at AG and at the very least learn some basics of Flash. That way you can come back with a project that many will jump at the chance of being involved in.

And before you start with the insults again, read what I've written, read what ThyRaven has written and think about it.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

This thread has gotten a bit crazy in my opinion but some points people made are completely valid.

Dear OP, you are an "Idea Guy".

In other words, you came up with an idea, and decided to turn it into a real game by sharing it and building a team.

Pro tip: This will never work. Never.

It does work. Here is an example, look at the credits of any big game and you see hundreds of different people with different skill sets working on it. Writers, UI designers, Programmers, AI directors, Marketing teams, Lawyers for Legal consults, Artists, Engine programmers, Game designers, Level designers, Video game producers, Sound effects team lead ect...

A lot of the above jobs don't have anything to do with programming but are necessary for the scope of the game.

But here we have a independent flash game. Thus the most important person is the programmer. Behind him/her is the artist and game designer. The game designers role is to create an interesting and fun framework for the game with all the rules and mechanics.

There are minimal expectations of the "ideas man" or game designer in small flash games. Before you even make a topic you want to have a clear idea of the game/structure and gameplay. You would of spent many hours going through the idea and looking for flaws or what to improve. You would also want to have a design document so people know you are serious, what you game looks like and what you are capable of. If you can't provide anything you are a dead weigh that is leeching of individuals that have actual skills they are honing.

There are plenty of tutorials on game design on the internet so you can self teach yourself good game design like any other part of the team.

Asking for people to make a game for you with a few slapped, (11) ,on idea is like programming script kiddie asking for a 60 page design document and a artists with art assets.

I'm not trying to insult or put you down but you do want to prove that you have a useful skill that the others on your team don't have as refined and thought out as you do otherwise why would the programmer need you if they can just design up their own game without you?
Showing 1-13 of 13