ForumsProgramming ForumAdobe CS5.5

16 11004
Nerfanator
Nerfanator
8 posts
Nomad

alright i want to make a game like shell shock live, ive downloaded Adobe CS5.5 free trial and im the biggest noob ever at it, dont know what to do or click, please help, want to make a game like Shell Shock Live or Vortex Wars (yes i want it to be multiplayer) but i dont know how to do anything, please help

• 16 Replies
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

First of all, start small. Your first game is not going to be Shell Shock.

Do you have any experience working in programming languages, like Python or Javascript?

Nerfanator
Nerfanator
8 posts
Nomad

does making pictures in microsoft paint count? thats closest ive came to javascript ,

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

No, it doesn't count but you've answered the question.

So let me explain how a flash game is made.

Generally, people will use ActionScript to determine the game logic of a flash game. You'll need to learn ActionScript 2 or 3 if you want to create flash games.

Actually, wait. Perhaps it would be better if you just used Stencyl or something.

Nerfanator
Nerfanator
8 posts
Nomad

Stencyl? whats that? and where can i learn Actionscript?
ive got all the idea in my head and on paper, i want to know how to put idea into real-y real

Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

Stencyl? whats that?

A programm to make flash games, but you can make your game without coding.

and where can i learn Actionscript?
Well, the correct question is how instead of where. You can learn ActionScript following other people tutorials, analize they code and then try to make your own code.
Nerfanator
Nerfanator
8 posts
Nomad

alright ive downloaded StencylWorks and fiddle around with it, how do i make my like "Actor" a Tank and that kind of ground you see in Bad Eggs online & Shell Shock Live

Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

Well, you start with this:
http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2010/08/05/worms-like-destructible-terrain-in-flash-part-2/

hope you understand it and it helps you

Nerfanator
Nerfanator
8 posts
Nomad

ok thats great Carlytoon but what do i do with it? im a total noob at this, where am i suppose to click on the Adobe CS5.5?????

Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

ok thats great Carlytoon but what do i do with it? im a total noob at this, where am i suppose to click on the Adobe CS5.5?????

Whoops, well in that case you can go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKj1IgWJd-A

Remember, that video its a simple example, with time you will find how to use packages and OOP in AS3, but for now try to understand how language itselfs works.
Hope you it helps you and if you have any question just ask.
Nerfanator
Nerfanator
8 posts
Nomad

thats confusing, can anyone tell me how to start with step-by-step direction on forum?

Carlytoon
Carlytoon
324 posts
Nomad

thats confusing, can anyone tell me how to start with step-by-step direction on forum?

You should search more explanations on the web
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Step one - Buy some decent books on how to use Flash and Actionscript

Step two - Read them

Step three - Read them again

Step four - Attempt a small project to get used to how everything works

Step five - Read the books again

Step six - Buy some more advanced books and read them as well

Step seven - Try something a little bigger for your next project

Step eight - Ask experienced programmers for help and advice when you get stuck

Step nine - Release a basic game you've originated and get some opinions from gamers

Step ten - Study really hard in a variety of subjects whilst practicing your Flash and Actionscripting.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I would really suggest some programming class. There's no way you can master the language overnight, in a few days, or a few weeks. If you want to reach Shell Shock Level, you might need to take university courses on it.

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

ExplosionsHurt is right, start smaller than shell shock or vortex wars,
those were made by pros, not first timers

Annihalation
Annihalation
479 posts
Nomad

What is Adobe CS5.5?

I think its the current version of Adobe Creation Suite (CS). It includes a bunch of adobe's programs, such as Flash, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. It's over $1000 for the Suite. I think you can get Flash alone for a couple hundred dollars now days.

And to Original Poster, you don't just jump right into flash, you have to learn it slowly over time. You won't be making a game worthy of a 10/10 for at least a year from starting learning flash (most likely). Don't rush, it will only make things frustrating.
Showing 1-15 of 16