ForumsWEPRCancer- Forever a plague or future tool of medic

24 6615
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

This is a topic of research by this 19 year old young woman. I'm not sure it is possible (that's why she wants to test it), but she thinks that cancer can be harnessed and turned into a great medical tool. You could think of it like harnessing a virus and using it to make vaccines that immunize the masses against its harmful effects... or using viruses for gene therapy and correcting genetic mishaps. There is some in depth science vocabulary you might not understand, but I think that the overall message she's getting across is simplified enough that anyone can understand it.

Just as some people are wary of the flu shots, I'd think that some people would be wary of inducing cancer in their bodies. What is your opinion? Would you undergo such a treatment? Do you think this is a good thing? Any comments at all?

Hopefully the revised thread will work.... Thanks, Voidy
I copypasta'd from a word document so I wouldn't have to retype... hope it doesn't freak out and jumble the wording

• 24 Replies
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Completely serious here, has she not seen I Am Legend?

Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

Please explain your statement a little further. It's sometimes hard to discuss vague statements. I don't want to take the time to write something only to find out I slightly or grossly misunderstood you.

I don't see movies and concepts like zombies or rabid super albino humans as all that realistic. I'm not going to say it's impossible. It would most likely be a prion disorder or some sort of virus that would cause something along those lines. What we're talking about is using cancer cells and making them differentiate into usable tissue. Alzheimer's is caused by the loss of neural tissue (brain tissue diminishing)... this would give new growth to the brain and give you a chance at not being a vegetable at some point in the future.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

I Am Legend is based on the premise that a 'cure' for cancer was found, but it killed millions and mutated some of those who were left who in turn fed on those who did not mutate.

It is a scary film because it isn't an impossible prospect. It is what could happen simply by the medical profession dabbling in things they don't understand.

And that is how I perceive Eva Vertes. She is a young woman who has ideas and a passion, but she has no clue what she is meddling with. She could very easily use her early popularity to bring about a 'I Am Legend' scenario simply by not accepting the possibility that cancer may have no cure.

I say all this having suffered a brain tumour and living with the high risk of it returning. I'd much prefer her to study and give that speech again in 20 years when she has enough experience for me to believe her enthusiasm.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Please view the video and listen to what she has to say on manipulation rather than elimination. Listen to it again and again, then wonder why a woman with so little experience in the field feels she has the right path when she has no idea what that manipulation could result in. She may claim to have ideas, but ideas and theories sometimes can be acted on and then they can not be undone.

Manipulation = Mutation = Unknown long term effect.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

she said a few times herself that it is all just her hypothesis.
a intresting hypothesis nonetheless.
makes me think of when they said they wanna use modified HIV cells to cure cancer

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

It is a scary film

It was a book first, the film had a very different story line from it too.

because it isn't an impossible prospect.

It's not impossible, but the odds are astronomically out of it's favor that it will go as far as I Am Legend portrays, or even at all.

medical profession dabbling in things they don't understand.

I wouldn't say we don't understand this.

And that is how I perceive Eva Vertes. She is a young woman who has ideas and a passion, but she has no clue what she is meddling with

The point of "research" Is to find out about the topic, so she does know what she is meddling with, and nobody thinks a hollywood style scenario is going to come out of this. She doesn't have to be a professional to know what she's talking about, and she wouldn't either be getting publicity if she didn't. I don't know what she's saying because I'm in school and they're blocking the video, but I'm trusting her to know what she's talking about in a subject she's researched. Honestly, would i trust a method developed by her to be used on myself? No, not unless it was agreed upon by people with experience in the field to be safe and effective.
Sonatavarius
Sonatavarius
1,322 posts
Farmer

She's been researching in the field of biology with PhD holding researchers since 14... To win the international science fair you have to know something of biology. She studies at cancer research institutes... they don't let you do that unless you know SOMETHING.

The entire human genome is sequenced. I'm sure they know what most if not all of the coding material codes for and gene therapy with viruses is already used. Using viruses to cure cancer isn't much different than using viruses to cure other maladies... you're still dabbling with the "unknown." You have "Jaws" syndrome. Just because there was a movie about sharks eating people and you've seen a shark doesn't mean people shouldn't dive into the water.

Odds are that if there is a mistake or an unforseen thing the patient or test subject will just end up dying.

@master... long story made as short as I can make it, she asks the question about why muscle tissue rarely ever gets cancer. Think about it, you almost never hear about muscle cancer patients. She makes the observation that a lot of the time cancer is a product of damage. Melanoma is the product of too much sun. Breast cancer can arise from damage to the breast. Bone cancer can happen because of bone damage. Muscles are the most damaged things on the body. Every time you stretch or twist the wrong way you create micro tears. Why is muscle cancer virtually non-existant?

She asked muscle physiology experts and was told that it is because they are terminally differentiated(speaking of muscles). I think those were the words used. This means that muscle cells, once developed are there for a long time and there are fewer stem cells to differentiate into cancer.... that's cool and all, but why does muscle tissue exhibit the same level of resistance to metastasis, which is rogue cancer cells being distributed by the blood and growing like a seed spread out from a parent plant in another part of the body. Muscle tissue is highly vascularized so you'd think that it would be more prone to tumors than what it appears to be. She is suggesting that cancer could be a natural yet unfinished mechanism for healing sometimes. That, or she's suggesting that the mechanism just isn't evolved enough in other tissues like it is in the muscle. Tumors start out as pin point size glob of cells and then due to certain factors that come into play (angiogenisis for one) they explode into giant life ending tumors that spread. She said that it can be found that these pinpoint things can be observed in the muscle, but they've been harnessed and differentiated into new muscle cells. She's saying that maybe it would be possible to do that for other tissues. I may have said something wrong, but I think that was the basic point.

Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

they don't let you do that unless you know SOMETHING.

Within the confines of existing knowledge. Sorry, no cigar.

Unless she can display an advanced knowledge in the field that far exceeds current knowledge, she is messing with things that she doesn't understand and far fetched as I Am Legend is, it is a chilling view of the future as it could be with the likes of Eva Vertes thinking she knows something other scientists do not.

As far as the entire human genome being sequenced, thats as may be, but mapping it doesn't mean anyone yet understands it. Imagine looking at a code you don't understand for the first time, then someone gives you a formula that seems to interpret that code... are you 100% sure what you're told is true? Would you bet your life on it?

I wouldn't.
Miffy92
Miffy92
4 posts
Nomad

Imagine looking at a code you don't understand for the first time, then someone gives you a formula that seems to interpret that code... are you 100% sure what you're told is true? Would you bet your life on it?

Science cannot move forward without risks. If people can map out the human genome, and take the steps towards documenting, understanding and hypothesizing, we may move forward into new realms of science concerning human evolution and health.
However, this cannot happen if we simply idle by and pass up new opportunities to understand our species.
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

However, this cannot happen if we simply idle by and pass up new opportunities to understand our species.

By opportunities, what you really mean is risks. Risks based on acceptable losses. Not something I'm willing to accept on the word of a 19 year old to be perfectly honest.

Feel free when the hypothesis turns into practice to volunteer for some testing. I'll be at the back watching and waiting to see what happens thank you very much.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

@master... long story made as short as I can make it, she asks the question about why muscle tissue rarely ever gets cancer. Think about it, you almost never hear about muscle cancer patients. She makes the observation that a lot of the time cancer is a product of damage. Melanoma is the product of too much sun. Breast cancer can arise from damage to the breast. Bone cancer can happen because of bone damage. Muscles are the most damaged things on the body. Every time you stretch or twist the wrong way you create micro tears. Why is muscle cancer virtually non-existant?

tl;dr
Make it shorter.

Just kidding, got it

Within the confines of existing knowledge. Sorry, no cigar.

Which we have a lot of *lights a cigar*

Unless she can display an advanced knowledge in the field that far exceeds current knowledge

If we don't currently have the knowledge, how would she know it? If she's been studying for 5 years with experts in the field, I would say she knows what she's talking about.

Imagine looking at a code you don't understand for the first time, then someone gives you a formula that seems to interpret that code... are you 100% sure what you're told is true? Would you bet your life on it?

So we shouldn't take any risks in science? Okay, If you'll excuse me, I need to go back to dying from small pox because nobody ever took the risk of inventing a vaccine and stabbing it into people's arms.

she is messing with things that she doesn't understand and far fetched as I Am Legend is, it is a chilling view of the future as it could be with the likes of Eva Vertes thinking she knows something other scientists do not.

You're idea of what can cause zombies is as likely as any other random idea that could cause zombies. What in this could possibly cause zombies that Isn't in any other medical research?
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

Nice leap there from mutated cells to zombies, but I have valid concerns.

Feel free to make a mockery of my concerns, but I've expressed an opinion and I'll stick with that opinion if that is all the same with you.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I don't have time to watch the video, could someone give me a summary?

From what you have written it sounds interesting, I don't know enough on the subject of cancer or even muscles to just talk about what the OP has posted in his other posts to say anything until a few hours. Ill have to look into it more when I get back.

I would also like to state that as science, this can be easily proven or disproven, probably. Still haven't watched the video. Have any experiments been done to support or destroy this?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

She has an interesting take on cancer. If we found a reliable way to control the cancer cells I don't see why her ideas wouldn't work.

@Dewi1066
I don't see what she is describing being able to result in mutant vampire zombies. A worst case scenario would be losing control and a bunch of people ending up with cancer.

On another note about curing cancer.
I remember catching a report on TV of this guy who came up with a method to kill cancer and only cancer cells. Basically the idea was to inject the cancer cells with a material that would heat up when exposed to radio waves, thus killing the cancer. The only thing he didn't have worked out was a delivery system. If you guys want or if someone can help out and see if there is anything online about this research.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Nice leap there from mutated cells to zombies, but I have valid concerns.

Whatever monsters were in I Am Legend, maybe they were vampires.

Feel free to make a mockery of my concerns, but I've expressed an opinion and I'll stick with that opinion if that is all the same with you.

Where did I mock them?
Showing 1-15 of 24