ForumsThe TavernInterview - Help Needed

6 1753
DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

Hello Fellow AG-ers

I received got an offer from CUHK for their Biomedical Engineering Bachelor Program. I first have to attend an interview on the 18th of January with two professors from their university. Do some of you university fellas have any tips for interviews?? what to wear? what are some general questions they ask? anything I should know about?

• 6 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Wear something that makes you comfortable. That way you will be feeling more at ease, which might help you in the interview.
Alternately, casual business style to show you are serious about this, but not coming off too hard.

Research the programme and the organisation, and try to find some questions to ask after the interview. That will show you are interested and have taken some time to find information. Always a good point.

Get there at least half an hour before you need to do the interview. Then you have time to find the room, cool down a bit and stop being nervous. Alternately, get there an hour before, walk around in the area after you have located the building and relax for a bit. It might be a "waste of time", but if you take some time to get to know the area, you will also have topics for smalltalk and you might be able to divide your attention from being nervous by putting it into something else.

Be open about what they say, but also be ready to show you can take charge and think for yourself. Be clear about what you want from them before you get there, what you want to get out of this and what you can bring to them, if they chose to take you in.
The more you leave to chance, the less organised you will look, and you will be more nervous.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

^that

Also, before the interview, pop a breath mint or two. It will really help if this interview is in close quarters.

DairyHick
DairyHick
134 posts
Nomad

I really appreciate the help I have gotten so far. Please keep the good advice rolling in.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

And not to forget... if you smoke, hope you don't - but if you do, make sure you don't smoke before the interview for, say, at least an hour or so! The smell of a sigarette can be disturbingly unpleasant for non smokers, making the start of an interview crooked to begin with! Trust me... I know what I'm smoking - I mean - TALKing about, sadly...

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

use some paper and a pen to write down some informations they give you. you look then more interested into them (i hope i wrote everything right, i make misstakes lately on ag).

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

It helps to sit a bit forward in your chair, rather than leaned up against the back of it. It shows that you're attentive and interested in what the interviewer has to say. And whatever you do, don't lean back and/or slouch in your chair. Its bad form.

Showing 1-6 of 6