ForumsThe TavernExotic Food

22 3238
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

So here I am wondering, what has been the most exotic food you have ever eaten?

I'm not an adventurous eater, and escargot barely counts. Or frog legs which I love. Nor do sea cucumbers seem remotely exciting too. I've also eaten fried baby squid by the spoonful, but then again, it's nothing like eating fried grasshoppers or scorpions!

• 22 Replies
Bladesam
Bladesam
74 posts
Farmer

Well since we seem to be going on a Japanese mini-streak..

My most exotic, and favorite food is the Japanese stew, sukiyaki. There is really nothing that can't be added to it, but my preference would have to be with bamboo, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, crab, raw egg, and then have it with soy sauce, sugar, and water.. It's incredibly good.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Took my uncle's knife, and I cut both of them off the body. Raw, but they were warm. Very warm. D:

I know I asked, but... that sounds horrible. And now I have to live with that image in my mind for the rest of my life. Thank you for that.

Depends on how you cook it.

I feel like it was barely cooked. It had an excessively strong, gastric taste to it that I could barely stomach. But, like I said, everyone else really liked it. And it is popular in a variety of cultures, just not mine. The ears were pretty good, though. A little chewy, but whatever.

A good place to start would be hash. Its the brain, lungs, and intestines of a cow, and if you don't like hash, than you definately won't like brain.

I'll keep that in mind. Get it? In mind? HA! HA! HA! ugh...

My main problem with trying new foods is the context: I usually feel like I can't just try a nibble, but I have to finish eating whatever I start. Like, I don't want to eat an entire cow brain, just a tiny bit to see if I like it. Most of these foods are acquired tastes, and at first are quite vile to many people.

Also on that note, the people who I eat these foods with legitimately enjoy them, and some of these foods can be somewhat expensive. So, If I take a bite of brain and have to spit it out, I've just wasted some food that someone else could have enjoyed. I think that of there was an environment where I could just try a tiny sample without feeling guilty, I would try many more things.

A good example would be duck feet. Duck feet actually taste really good (I mean, if you like duck), but are really hard to eat at first. So, the first time I ate duck feet I wasted a lot of meat (and also probably made an idiot of myself), because I didn't know how to get all the webbing off the bones with my teeth. And since we have to go through a lot of ducks to get enough feet for a duck feet dish, I diminished the experience for my coworkers (who were all immigrants and knew their way around a duck foot).

Does lobster count? :P

I mean, not really, but it kind of should. Its like a weird giant alien insect, and you have to eat it (if you get the whole thing) in a certain manner.

I like sushi... Unagi is pretty good. As is takoyaki.

I have not eaten enough reptiles.
cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

I've had alot of exotic fruit, like persimmons, pomegranites, star fruit and cactus pears. I also like to eat really dark chocolate, like 90 percent, although its not necessarily considered exotic, its definitely an acquired taste. Dark chocolate with hot pepper is good too (it is like Aztec chocolate if anyone has ever had that.)

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I eat star fruits regularly mate haha. What's a cactus pear taste like?

SuperKruddKid
SuperKruddKid
42 posts
Farmer

The most exotic food I have eaten is boiled rabbit ears in China. I f anyone gets the chance to try them don't do it. I chewed on them for 20 minutes before my jaws got exhausted so I had to swallow them. They are more like rubber than meat. However if you want a workout for your jaws get this.

cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

The cactus pear is really hard to describe. It has the texture of a mango or persimmon, almost, but a little pastey-ish. It doesn't have a lot of flavor, and it's not sweet at all, but not bitter. If you ever try one, leave it in your mouth for a bit before you chew it, it helps you taste what flavor it does have.

Showing 16-21 of 22