ForumsThe TavernShakespeare not the writer?

5 1494
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

We all know of Shakespeare and his magnificence as a playwright, but he had a good friend, an equally good playwright, Christopher Marlowe, who suffered an untimely murder in a tavern. However, another friend of Shakey's may have smuggled Chris out of England when he learned of Chris' deadly debts, and from there sent plays back to Shakespeare.
Supporting evidence;
Shakespeare's dad could not read or write, nor could his children
The few signatures that Shakes has left behind are poor scrawls
He was known as a business man, not a writer
No manuscripts exist of Shakespeare's own writing
There's a bit more evidence, but I'm tired of typing.

So what do you think? Did Shakespeare write his own plays or was it Mr. Marlowe?

• 5 Replies
LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

Shakespeare's dad could not read or write, nor could his children

Shakespeare's handwriting was terrible because of this. Historians and scientists couldn't read his name properly so it could have been Snakespeare, Shakesheare and loads of other wierd names.

Did Shakespeare write his own plays

There is evidence that he did write his own plays but unless you're extremely interested in this, you can look it up on the internet or read books about him.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

More likely than not, he had them transcribed by a secretary. Or, if he did write manuscripts, the orginal copies could have been lost when The Globe burned down.

Its like the theories that Homer didn't write the Illiad. Interesting? Yes. True? May be. Likely to change anything? No.

ThroatLozenge
ThroatLozenge
146 posts
Nomad

We can never be sure. So I don't think it really matters xD Even if we stopped attributing them to be works of William Shakespeare himself. We would always still refer to them as Shakespearean plays, so it doesn't matter :P

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Doubt is always a foregone conclusion, especially when dealing with historical figures. I honestly think that he did coin the material attributed him, and think he would suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous assertions with aplomb.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Who doesn't love a good historical conspiracy? But I wouldn't care. The plays are much more important as compared to who actually wrote them. It doesn't diminish their stellar quality even if he didn't pen them himself.

Showing 1-5 of 5