ForumsWEPR[necro]What's the big deal about smoking?

163 52341
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I don't get people why they are so against it?
If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

• 163 Replies
Dewi1066
Dewi1066
539 posts
Nomad

I smoke.

I don't do it around other people, I don't inflict my choice onto other people and I enjoy it.

Punish me for personal choice that effects me and no one else.

Oh, and for those that claim I damage myself and everyone else pays, kick the kid riding the skateboard, the naughty boy who will get injured and we all foot the bill.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

If someone chooses to smoke let them do so, no one crashes a car while smoking.In my opinion, its like every thing else that is excess of everything is bad.
My father started it at 17(same as me) and my grand fater at 14.They are still okay(now they age 79 and 40).
Tell me about your opinions.

I'll tell you a bunch of facts as to why it's bad:

1.seccond hand smoke has a history of killing people
2.smoking has given multiple prenatal defects when pregnant mothers smoke.
3.smoking is one of the world's leading causes of lifestyle death.
4.lung cancer
5.mouth cancer (though it's more prominent in chewing tobacco)
6.non-smokers tend to live longer

also, nobody likes it when that one tool decides to start smoking right next to them, and no the non-smokers won't move because non-smokers vastly outnumber smokers.

would you like any more reasons to give up now, or should I hit harder?

-Blade
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I think the main problem with smoking is that it does affect the people around you. My docter says I shouldn't visit my grandfather because he smokes. And honestly she's right. The last time I slept over, and just on his couch, I got pneumonia. Second hand smoking hurts people, and it's a little hard for people to just pretend like it doesn't. I mean, the smoke stays on your clothes, furniture. I'm okay with it, but I can definitly see why people would be against it.

devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

Because people can't leave others alone until those others switch over to there views? A lot of people I know smoke, and even though I have chosen never to, I don't have issues with anyone around me smoking. It's just another one of those cases where people try to control other's choices.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

1.seccond hand smoke has a history of killing people
4.lung cancer

He didn't ask why it was bad. He asked about your opinion about why so many people are against it. I think he should know the consequences. Unless that was your argument to why people are so against it and the people who choose to.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

I smoke. Good stress release, although more stress in the end because I want another and another. Makes me happy for twenty minutes, and that's all I really care about. Will it take ten years off of my life? Sure it will. Do I care? Not really. It's my choice to die a horrible, painful death. No one else can make that decision for me. People who tell me to stop IRL get a quick "**** off."

As for other people around me? Second hand smoke is a joke. I smoke outside, and it hardly gets in my face at all, and I'm the one smoking it. Don't like the smoke? Stand upwind. Seriously.

Smoking inside is stupid. Of course it will lead to second hand smoke, and a good amount of it. In cars? Roll down your window. Simple solution to a simple problem.

Why are they smoking when they're pregnant? That's just stupid. They shouldn't be using any substances of that variety.

4.lung cancer

My choice. Let me deal with it.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

A man lighted his cigar in a train,
woman next to him said"Cigar's smoke irritates me."
Man replied"I guess I can only recommend that you don't smoke it."
Joke aside
It is just like one of those cases where things get stamped good or bad for eternity and smoking got stamped as bad habit.

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

As for other people around me? Second hand smoke is a joke. I smoke outside, and it hardly gets in my face at all, and I'm the one smoking it. Don't like the smoke? Stand upwind. Seriously.

... I nearly died from second hand smoking.

Why are they smoking when they're pregnant? That's just stupid. They shouldn't be using any substances of that variety.

Well if they're addicted before hand. I'm not sure if they can just up and quit.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

He didn't ask why it was bad. He asked about your opinion about why so many people are against it. I think he should know the consequences. Unless that was your argument to why people are so against it and the people who choose to.

that was the argument actually, glad to see you noticed.

sorry man, majority rules, and so you will have to go downwind. it doesn't get in your face because you are blowing it in the direction of someone else.

some are too adicted to stop. look at the mothers who did heroin while pregnant. they couldn't control themselves. also exposure to it seccondhand is almost as bad.

My choice. Let me deal with it.

deal with it all you like, the rest of us will just keep kicking you out of resturaunts because we aren't forced to deal with your problems.

It is just like one of those cases where things get stamped good or bad for eternity and smoking got stamped as bad habit.

...BECAUSE IT IS ONE! just ask any doctor, and all of them will tell you the same thing "smokings bad, and you are foolish for not agreeing."

-Blade
AequitasBU
AequitasBU
112 posts
Nomad

I smoke and iv'e always wondered this too. **** off people that are against it and yell at me for smoking. STFU i'm not bothering you I'm just walking to class peacefully OUTSIDE! Parks that ban smoking are a joke as well. My choice, my problem **** off.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

i'm not bothering you

That's not true.

My choice, my problem **** off.

The second hand smoke is everyone around you's problem.
devsaupa
devsaupa
1,810 posts
Nomad

BECAUSE IT IS ONE! just ask any doctor, and all of them will tell you the same thing "smokings bad, and you are foolish for not agreeing."

I've seen doctors take a smoking break. It's bad sure, but so is driving, and flying, going on a ship, ect. One mistake will kill you.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Because no one who doesn't smoke wants to smell that crap. It also is bad for your health and everyone around you.

**** off people that are against it and yell at me for smoking. STFU i'm not bothering you I'm just walking to class peacefully OUTSIDE!

You shouldn't smoke around other people. Really, there's only a select few places that I wouldn't mind people smoking. Your home, your car, and that's about it. Everywhere else people use and go by, parks, streets, malls, offices, hotels, restrooms, etc. It does bother me very much to have to smell it. Even outside the wind carries it and instantly I would rather be somewhere else than there.

Parks that ban smoking are a joke as well.

I wouldn't want to go to a park that allowed smoking.

Think of it this way, you're walking down the road, and someone throws a rotten egg down in front of you. That's basically what you're doing to every person you pass while you're smoking.
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

BECAUSE IT IS ONE! just ask any doctor, and all of them will tell you the same thing "smokings bad, and you are foolish for not agreeing."

so is drinking, people do stupid things while drunk but no one puts a ban on drinking
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

You shouldn't smoke around other people. Really, there's only a select few places that I wouldn't mind people smoking. Your home, your car, and that's about it. Everywhere else people use and go by, parks, streets, malls, offices, hotels, restrooms, etc. It does bother me very much to have to smell it. Even outside the wind carries it and instantly I would rather be somewhere else than there

then that's ur problem, if u don't like it, walkaway.
If I go in some shop and someone other than shopkeeper tells me to put it out , my answer is only tw words which i wont write here as i cant afford another ban
Showing 1-15 of 163