ForumsThe TavernGoing for broke with a new phone

13 2260
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I've been wanting to do this or a while but next month (with help from my gf) I will finally be replacing my land line with the top of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus smartphone.

This will be the first smartphone I have ever owned and could use some recommendations on what accessories are a must for it.

• 13 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Accessories as in apps or physical accessories such as chargers?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Accessories as in apps or physical accessories such as chargers?

Suggestions for both would be nice actually, though right now I'm looking more towards physical accessories since I will be getting the phone in the middle of next month.
I'm already taking a look at cases.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I don't usually got for cases with flaps, since its a hassle, and it bulks up the phone.

It again depends on what you're going to use the phone mostly. Work? Music? Social tool?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

It again depends on what you're going to use the phone mostly. Work? Music? Social tool?

As I said it's replacing my land line. So it will be used in place of that. I will use it to display my store when I'm talking to people about it so I can show them my work. Also for entertainment, games, videos etc.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Nothing much to say. Definitely a good screen protector and a hard cover if you're using it for display purposes. I've stuck to normal Apple earphones which are completely horrible; you might want to fork out more for noise cancelling earplugs.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

An Autobox would be a must, though i've only ever seen them on Apple products. You can drop the phone out of an airplane, and it'd still work. They're a bit bulky though.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Definitely a good screen protector and a hard cover if you're using it for display purposes.

This is something that's been hard to figure out. One thing I have to consider is my sunglasses are polarized. The screen plain with the phone I can see fine but with a protector on it I have no idea if I will get some funky view on the screen with the glasses. So far from reviews I might go with the one Verizon offers.

you might want to fork out more for noise cancelling earplugs.

I hadn't even considered earplugs. Yeah that would be useful.

An Autobox would be a must, though i've only ever seen them on Apple products. You can drop the phone out of an airplane, and it'd still work. They're a bit bulky though.

When I typed autobox and galaxy nexus into a search I just got case-mate cases. I heard those had a molding problem with this phone that they plan to correct (next month I think). Considering I can offer Case-Mate cases in my store it would be cool if Zazzle began offering them for this phone, then I would get a case with my own design.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

So far from reviews I might go with the one Verizon offers.

Ask for the technician to put the screen protector on. They did mine 8 months ago, and theres yet to be an air bubble under it.

Considering I can offer Case-Mate cases in my store it would be cool if Zazzle began offering them for this phone, then I would get a case with my own design.

Theres that, but if people see you using one, and then selling one, they'll assume that the product is good if you're placing your trust in it.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I think I will be going with this screen protector.
http://xoskins.com/cell-phone-skin-protectors/samsung-skin-protectors/samsung-galaxy-nexus-screen-protector?zenid=d1f5d2787f75c63519c2fa1e3f484ecf

Not that thrilled with the wet application screen protectors, but with this particular phone it's either that or one that doesn't provide full coverage.

As for cases, I might just go for aesthetics and get this one.
http://www.samsunggalaxynexusaccessories.net/nxsprimesnwich-30.html

Still not sure though.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Even if you have the screen protector, it's best to get someone who's good at pasting it such that there are no air bubbles or misalignments.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Even if you have the screen protector, it's best to get someone who's good at pasting it such that there are no air bubbles or misalignments.

What I will likely do is take all this with me when I buy the phone and have the guy there put this stuff on.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Definitely get the screen protector. I have my galaxy s2 epic 4g touch for less than 2 months (without a case or protector), and someone knocked it out of my hand, so now it has a tiny crack in the upper right corner. It's hardly noticeable, but kind of annoying because it's expensive to replace the screen if it gets any bigger.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Screen protector and a simple hard case. They help protect it and u can get some cool ones. But none of that flippy floppy stuff. Or the things with the clip. Waste. As for apps, just get like angry birds and AoZ.

Showing 1-13 of 13