ForumsThe TavernGetting through the school web-filter

15 4146
Awesomeyi
Awesomeyi
122 posts
Nomad

The school webfilter is an amazingly annoying thing. That M19 or 81 security thing they implement prevents you from going to many useful sites.
One way to get through the annoying filter (this might not work):
Put a simple https:// in front of a link.
For example- http://www.youtube.com into
https://www.youtube.com
Make sure to type out www.youtube.com because
https://youtube.com does not work.
Some sites, like armorgames.com work only if you leave out the "www."
So https://www.armorgames.com does not work.
Sometimes the web-browser will display an error and the https will not work.

The second way to get through the filter is bringing games via USB drive. The best game for this is clearly Minecraft.
The launcher is only like 500kb so it is very handy. If your school has rules against installing software, play the game off your USB.

Other ways include going to game-math sites like:
www.hoodamath.com which has "geometry" games like red remover or going to some not well-known game site.

• 15 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Something interesting students in the US might like to know:

At any time, and at any point, the School Districk you're in can view what you're viewing through your monitor. They have people whose sole job is to do that. I know, because my friend got suspended for playing games from a site that slipped through the filter.

Also, every time you log in a school computer, its logged and recorded on a database. So is every URL that you visit, as well as what time you did it.

You have been warned.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

My school is god of preventing kids from doing virtual anything but school work on their computers, they give you a computer that can only do 2 things, go online and type up a word document, they made it so u cant access any file on the computer, you can't run any exe file, and they pretty much block every trick you can think of. Only loophole I have found in their security is you can access computer file through the save function in word

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Only loophole I have found in their security is you can access computer file through the save function in word

We have a 'Portal' we can save stuff to, from any computer. So I've accessed Facebook and such through that.

Also: Can someone say 'Big Brother'?
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

At any time, and at any point, the School Districk you're in can view what you're viewing through your monitor.

I'm assuming that's only if you're using a school computer, which i only use my laptop in school. Though any school can see what websites have been accessed in the school through which IP addresses if they want to monitor every message the router gives off.

They have people whose sole job is to do that

Das ridiculous.

Also, every time you log in a school computer, its logged and recorded on a database. So is every URL that you visit, as well as what time you did it.

All these facts you're talking about aren't necessarily true everywhere, every school can do what they want at their own discretion.

On a related note, my school's internet web filter has been down for the past few weeks. I'm not sure if they even know, but I'm sure as hell not complaining.
CommanderBrenden
CommanderBrenden
709 posts
Nomad

Also: Can someone say 'Big Brother'?

Why lol?

One of my pals showed me this website that bypasses our schools filters but when u type in the url u want... it doesnt work.. its like its dead but its a image or somewhat lol
Awesomeyi
Awesomeyi
122 posts
Nomad

Our school doesn't care unless your installing something, which is impossible to do anyway because you need an admin.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

I am sorry, I kinda need to ask this: Why is is so important to circumvent this filter?
Yes, I understand that someone might want to play games during their lunch break or something, but can't it wait a few hours till you get home and have no such filters to prevent you from playing?

So, could someone please explain this to me?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

So, could someone please explain this to me?

Pampered kids who's existence is 75% virtual, and 25% something unfamiliar called reality. You know, they die when kept off from their daily supply of internet?

I think?
Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Like other people said, teachers have software that can remotely view all the computer screens in a room at once. Fool around and your teacher may write stuff or do something that creeps you out...trust me, my english teacher did it to me before lol

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Like other people said, teachers have software that can remotely view all the computer screens in a room at once. Fool around and your teacher may write stuff or do something that creeps you out...trust me, my english teacher did it to me before lol

Yeah, they can. I remember I went to the language lab and we were supposed to be doing some stupid activity online for Spanish. I flipped the comp 270 degree (the monitor screen, not the physical computer) and then opened paint and started drawing. A few minutes later a little window on my screen popped up with a message, "What are you even doing?" -Teacher
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

ya my school blocks utube . i tryed one day when we were able to use earplugs .i was just gonna turn math on mute and blake shelton on high

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

Well, I'm not sure you should do this, cuz if you do, you could get in some serious trouble. But, if you're school computer has a spreadsheet on its computer, open it, and write a function that makes an endless loop. Do that on again and again, opening up several spreadsheets, until the computer crashes, and restarts. Then, when the computer restarts, open it up as safe mode, and delete all of the filters. Then restart it, normally, and you can go anywhere you want. Again, don't so this, I just read this in a book, and you could get in some serious trouble.

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

In Elementary( My town in its Pre K- 3rd) The filters weren't as strict like Kid's could see a couple video's on youtube and stuff, but in Intermediate( I swear I have NEVER heard of a town beside's Durant that has it, its for 4th -6th) The only stupid thing they let you do is play dopey websites and do your work.

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

What is weird is how the filter I have at school is supposed to block game sites but I can get on AG fine. I have never had to go around the filter though.

R3LOAD
R3LOAD
531 posts
Peasant

It doesn't really matter to me. If we find a website over here that passes through the filter, teachers can see what everyone is on on a programme they have on their own computer, and they can manually block any website that the filter can't get to.

Showing 1-15 of 15