ForumsThe TavernThe Cube of Rubik

29 4377
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

So thaboss recently learned how to solve a Rubik's cube. It's that thing that looks like this:
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxBzv0TjFGAsYKCV9d06j2SGOlaf25eXQAZTX44hSzF8RZZm3pWg
His best time is 1:06.

This is just a thread to talk about the cube, when you first got interested in it, fastest time, favorite brand, method of solving it, maybe a good tutorial you found online, just basically anything about it. Or the other kinds. Or FeliksZemdegs. And try not to use too much cube notation without explaining it.

Thaboss uses the beginner method found here. He's starting to do F2L, but intuitively. A friend of his recently bought a 2x2x2, 4x4x4 and 5x5x5. Thaboss is thinking about buying a Dayan ZhanChi. Should he? Anyway...

• 29 Replies
Haku1234567890
Haku1234567890
1,720 posts
Nomad

I never solved Rubix cube, tried for about 2 hours and only could match 8 squares of the same color, so couldn't even solve one side

mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

I got a rubik's cube 2 christmases ago and I haven't been able to solve it yet!

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

There's this if you really want to solve it...

Thaboss bought the ZhanChi.. White. He hopes it will improve his time, but he fears that it is he that needs improving...
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21HioIeJuuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

My parents bought me a Rubik's Cube a long time ago. It was fun at the beginning and I solved it a few times, though I never learned how to do it properly. However, I lost interest pretty fast, but I guess I didn't spend enough time on it.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Well, the zhanchi should be coming at the end of this week... It should improve his time...

My parents bought me a Rubik's Cube a long time ago. It was fun at the beginning and I solved it a few times, though I never learned how to do it properly. However, I lost interest pretty fast, but I guess I didn't spend enough time on it.

Whoa, at least you could solve it without looking it up, thaboss just went to straight to the guide..
sugarbean
sugarbean
81 posts
Nomad

Did u take this thread title from night of the museum?

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

As a kid i used to randomly spin it so al colors are mixed.
then i used to break it (every color block apart other than middle one)
and then used to fix it according to middle block color)
Tada block rearranged.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Did u take this thread title from night of the museum?

Totally!

As a kid i used to randomly spin it so al colors are mixed.
then i used to break it (every color block apart other than middle one)
and then used to fix it according to middle block color)
Tada block rearranged.

Eh...

And the middle blocks never move. White will always be across from yellow, red from orange, blue from green...
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

I can't do it, it's so annoying I get annoyed to easily with it.

Also you don't need to talk in third person like

And thaboss

When its you who is speaking ( well typing) you just put I
kegaumongo
kegaumongo
2,155 posts
Grand Duchess

Whoa, at least you could solve it without looking it up

Believe me when I say I was lucky. However, I think I'll give it another try... if I can find the cube. I don't really know where it is.

Though it's completely off topic, why are you talking in third person?
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

Myself I do not understand how people can solve rubix cubes rediculasly fast. I can't even solve one myself.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Thaboss is part of the third person club. Details here.

Horrible news!!! Thaboss got his cube confiscated in class! And the teacher won't give it back until the end of the school year! (It doesn't really matter because the cube was horrible, really old, the pieces kept popping out, and the stickers were sliding off, AND thaboss already bought a new cube,) but it's not coming for a week, and thaboss doesn't think he can survive that long without his cube. (As anyone can see, he is obsessed.)

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Lol that's happened to three people I've seen, anyway a way to make the cube rotate faster is to put Silicon spray in it or Vaseline but Silicon spray works better

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Lol that's happened to three people I've seen, anyway a way to make the cube rotate faster is to put Silicon spray in it or Vaseline but Silicon spray works better

Been there, done that...
Showing 16-29 of 29