ForumsWEPRThe Libertarian nomination

11 2810
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

So the US Libertarian Party has made me very upset. If you don't know about Libertarianism, the basic beliefs are as follows: Liberal on Social rights, Capitalist on economics, non-interventionist in foreign affairs, and small government. Again, these are basics. Some examples are that we support gay marriage, legalization of drugs, business rights, the abolishment of the IRS, and oppose things like the Iraq War, Patriot Act, and taxes for government programs.

Over the weekend, the Libertarian Party nominated Bob Barr, a former Republican from Georgia. Mr. Barr is not a Libertarian. He voted for the Patriot Act, Iraq War, and the bombing of coca fields in Colombia. He opposes medical marijuana and the legalization of drugs. He has voted against gay marriage and Wiccans in the military. Mr. Barr has continually voted to raise taxes and increase the government's power.

The main reason they nominated him is because he has held a public office before, and could bring attention to the party. The party sold out on its beliefs just to gain attention. Maybe it will be good for the party in the national stage, but Mr. Barr does not support anything that the party believes in. People will see his authoritarian beliefs and think that's what that party stands for, hurting Libertarians in the end.

This is a terrible move for the Libertarian Party. I wrote a stern letter to the US Libertarian Party about his nomination and canceled my membership. Anyone else here a Libertarian, or have an opinion on the issue? I want to know what other Libertarians think.

• 11 Replies
Showing 16-15 of 11